In the instructions it recommends that you do a muslin fitting first. I second that 100%. When I made the first trial run it was okay. It was good to get used to the terms and how things were going to look. The size I cut was really not the best for me. I also needed to add a little in the bodice and the waistband since I am small and long in my torso, the bodice was hitting me a bit short. Sara and I had a google hangout with all kinds of bodice maneuvering and a little measuring to figure out what needed to be done. Kay recommends looking online for adjustments for alterations for this area if you are large or small busted or a book called Fit for Real People. I needed an inch here and and inch there.
and this was my second muslin fitting. The bodice is much better in this one.
So I took the plunge and started on the "real" dress!!!! I used Pellon Shape Flex for all the interfacing. I think I need to start buying that stuff by the bolt! SO many uses...so awesome! I also used my trusty Aurifil thread in a stunning black 50wt. I was thinking of trying the 40wt but I did not want my stitches to show so 50 was meant to be!
Instead of gathering the skirt, I went with box pleats. I looked at youtube videos and found this one that is super easy to follow by evangesews.com. I started from the center and the pleats are 2in apart. Not perfect but this was my first time ever doing these pleats. I am very pleased with the outcome.
Here is the back view and my EPIC FAIL on the invisible zipper! I did not sew close enough to the teeth but at that point I was not ripping it all out to do over. My next dress I will hopefully do a better job. I also have NO IDEA what I am looking at in the tree.
The one thing I really wish I would have done is to add POCKETS!!! Donna Reed would have had pockets! If I can make this dress anyone can! I am really loving it...
especially since it goes with my red shoes!!!!
Linked up on