Tuesday, May 22, 2012

traveling with young children: tip #1

We just got back from our annual adventure to Southern California to visit Grandma and Grandpa Chiniquy and Mickey and Minnie.

My daughter, Kate and granddaughter, Madi joined us for three days at Disneyland. It was Madilyn's first time to the happiest place on Earth. There is nothing that compares to watching little ones see a "real" princess for the first time. Don't you agree? It's magical. If you ask Madi what she did when she saw Tiana in the parade, she'll answer, "I freaked out." She did, and it was hilarious.

Traveling with little ones is always a unique experience. :) But there are also some very simple things we do to make it more enjoyable.


Planning ahead is a big one. I package up one outfit for each day--including undies and hair accessory--in a zipper bag. When I get to the hotel, I put them in a drawer and Ella can choose one each morning. It saves time (no rummaging through the suitcase to find items) and tantrums. I noticed the last time my granddaughter, Madi came for a sleepover, Kate had each of her outfits packaged up. Like mother, like daughter. :)


With the summer weather here, it was a great time to declutter E's closet. It was also a great time to implement the same idea above for everyday. It's working wonderfully and we're both happy. I just rotate her outfits from the hangers to the bins.

Note: I have a basket at the top of her closet to gather items I purchase for next year on sale or even clearance. We have a large play room downstairs for the girls, but Ella has a few toys in her room to play with. I find the less there is in a child's room, the easier it is to keep tidy. And they don't become overwhelmed when it's time to clean up.

One last thing. I tend to be a "just-incase" packer (translation: I'd better pack this and this and this just incase), but both Lynn and I decided to travel lighter this year. There's a great article here, on how to pack ten days worth of clothing into a carry-on. The rolling method versus stacking worked well and we actually cut out an entire suitcase this trip.

Happy Traveling,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment