Wednesday, May 23, 2012

traveling with children: tip #2

Though we don't like to think about our children ever getting separated from us in a large crowd, we all know it's a possibility.

We always briefed our little ones that if they got lost, to stay in one place and find someone with a badge. We also had a secret password that anyone picking up the kids from school, practice, etc. in a emergency had to know before they would leave with them. Kate's was Butterfinger. It was her favorite candy bar. :) Fortunately we never had to use them, but it's good to be prepared.

There are a lot of great products out there kids can wear so if they're separated, parents can be contacted right away. Here's our simple version.


I get out my handy dandy label maker and print some labels with Ella's name and one of our cell numbers. I tell her the same things I told my other kids, but also add, "then take off your shoe." (Usually I stick it under the tongue of her athletic shoe, but she was wearing them. :)) I like that the information isn't "out in the open" this way.

Happy Traveling,
Kim

***I have to say that I don't love the DYMO label maker pictured. I had one that was the same brand years ago that I LOVED, but then it became too hard to find cartridges. This one doesn't print solid lines, they're always broken up. Anyone have one they love that I can find the supplies for easily?

No comments:

Post a Comment