Thursday, August 22, 2013

California Chopped Salad with Shrimp

Sometimes I've just gotta keep it real, so here goes.  I've been wanting to make this salad ever since I received my copy of Weeknights with Giada, which was over a year ago. In fact, it was the number one recipe I wanted to make after paging through the book.  Any reasonable person would have went out, bought the ingredients, and made the salad. What did I do?  I stared at the recipe in the book and thought about all the washing, chopping, grilling, whisking, and tossing.  Then I just flipped the page to something easier and more convenient.  For an entire year! 

Last week I was flipping through the book again and this recipe was staring me right in the face.  I decided it was time to make the salad.  I bought the ingredients with the intention to make the salad for dinner that night.  Truth: it took me three days to psych myself up and make the salad! I may just be the Queen of Procrastination!

I had to force myself to get started on the salad, but I'm so glad I did!  This salad is bursting with bright fresh flavor and hits all the notes that a good salad should.  You get the crispness form the lettuce and tortilla strips, the creaminess of the avocado, the smokiness from the grilled corn and zucchini, tender bites of sweet grilled shrimp, and the fresh flavor of juicy summer-ripe tomatoes.  This colorful salad gets tossed in a zingy and refreshing lemon vinaigrette that quite simply brings all the flavors to life. 

I might just have it in me to make another one.




California Chopped Salad with Shrimp
Adapted from Weeknights with Giada
by Giada De Laurentiis
Serves 4

1 head of romaine lettuce, trimmed and halved lengthwise
1 ear of corn, husk and silk removed
2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
6 colossal or 12 extra large shrimp, peeled and deveined
olive oil, for drizzling
salt and black pepper
1/2 head butter lettuce, torn
2 medium tomatoes, chopped into 1/2" pieces
1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2" cubes
2 cups store-bought tortilla strips

Dressing:

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1-1/2 tablespoons agave nectar or honey
1 garlic clove, minced or grated 
salt and pepper to taste

Drizzle the corn, zucchini, and shrimp with olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Grill the corn and zucchini for 2 minutes on all sides until crisp-tender.  Grill the shrimp for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until the shrimp is opaque and cooked through.

Add the romaine and butter lettuce to a large salad bowl.  Using a sharp knife, remove the kernels from the corn and add to the salad bowl.  Chop the zucchini into 1/2-inch pieces and add to the bowl.  Cut the shrimp into 1/2" pieces and add to the bowl (I used medium shrimp so I just left them whole).  Add the tomatoes and avocado to the bowl.  

In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, agave nectar, minced/grated garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.  Whisk until smooth.

Pour the dressing over the salad (use discretion as you may not need to use it all) and toss until all the ingredients are coated.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Garnish with tortilla strips and serve.




Potluck Week at IHCC!


Every Sunday @ Kahakai Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment