Sunday, April 17, 2011

Shrimp Stir Fry with Sugar Snap Peas

Since my last post I've been concentrating on cleaning out my pantry, fridge and freezer.  My pantry is exploding with stores of pasta, grains, beans, dried fruit, and baking products. My freezers are just as full.  Almost every time one of the freezer doors is opened a package falls out onto your toes.  Apparently I've been stockpiling food. 

Since I found 4 bags of shrimp in my freezer and I had 27 boxes of pasta in my pantry, I wanted to find a recipe that utilized both shrimp and pasta.  A quick inspection of the veggie bin in the fridge proved that I had the sugar snap peas to make this recipe and I was all set.  A delicious way to clean house!


Shrimp Stir Fry with Sugar Snap Peas
Serves 2-3

1" fresh ginger, peeled & crushed or finely diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely diced
1 fresh chile, sliced 
1-2 tablespoons peanut or canola oil
1/2 lb. large shrimp, shelled & deveined
large handful sugar snap peas or snow peas
2 tablespoons soy sauce
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 lb pasta
small bunch fresh cilantro, torn or cut in 1-2" sections

Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta while you slice and dice the ginger, garlic, and chile.  When water comes to a boil, salt it well, then toss in pasta.  Stir after it comes back up to a boil.  Boil vigorously until it has your preferred bite. Set aside.

Heat a pan or wok over high heat (you can start this part while the pasta boils).  Swirl in some peanut oil/canola oil and add garlic, ginger, and chile.  Saute for a minute or so, then add shrimp and cook for another couple minutes or until shrimp is almost cooked through.  Add sugar snaps, soy sauce, lime juice, honey, and sesame oil.  Saute for a bit until everything is hot and then toss in pasta.  Toss over heat until pasta is well coated, then serve with the cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment