Friday, September 23, 2011

Cookbook Review: The Homesick Texan

I'm not going to do a traditional cookbook review for The Homesick Texan.  Instead, I'm going to just come out and say that this book is my absolute favorite right now.  I'd even go as far to say that it's my absolute favorite cookbook so far this year!  I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves down home country cooking and/or Tex Mex favorites.  It is wonderful.

I literally cannot quit cooking from this cookbook. I'm obsessed with it!  Every new recipe we try is so wonderful that I find myself wanting to cook another, and another, and another.

My family doesn't pay much attention to my cookbook collection, but when they see this book out on the counter they do cheers.  They know that whatever I'm going to make is going to be wonderful.

I'd cook my way through the entire book if I could, but for now some of the recipes I'd like to try 
are:  Chorizo Empanadas; Queso Cookies; Queso Flameado; Green Chile Chowder; Carne Guisada; Cheese Enchiladas with Chile Con Carne; Soft Cheese Tacos; Tamales with Rajas; Pasilla Tomatillo Braised Short Ribs; Tex-Mex Meat Loaf with a Chipotle-Tomato Glaze; Pasilla Garlic Shrimp with Tomatillo Cheese Grits; Tex-Mex Squash Casserole; and Chorizo Asadero Bread.  


Below is a quick roundup of all The Homesick Texan recipes I've made so far.
Pork Tacos, Dallas Gas Station Style

Austin-Style Black Beans

Poblano Macaroni and Cheese

Carnitas

Jalapeno Pinto Beans

Red Chile Rice

Mexican Fried Potatoes w/ Chorizo and Eggs

Breakfast Tacos

The Most Amazing Refried Beans Ever

Chorizo-Stuffed Jalapenos

Chipotle Pimento Cheese

Tomato Cobbler
Last night we made Lisa's Tomato Cobbler, using fresh tomatoes and jalapeno from our garden and as was expected it was absolutely wonderful. 

Words really cannot express how much I love this cookbook.  I've made twelve recipes and each recipe has been a huge hit. 

If you would like to see my posts for each of the recipes above, please click HERE.

Thank you to Lisa Fain for such a wonderful cookbook.  Thank you to Heather of girlichef for asking me to be a part of such a wonderful cookbook spotlight and cook-off, and thank you to Hyperion for sponsoring such a wonderful event. 





No comments:

Post a Comment