Monday, July 9, 2012

Creating new addictions...I mean hobbies

I  first want tho thank the Dynamic Duo that were so kind to guest post of me last week!!!!! I went on a car trip with the family to see my grandparents in Normal, IL and then a quick side trip up to Chicago to see my beloved Sara ( did not get to spend enough time with her but there will be more time later)!!!!

Rachael and Katy!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! You gals are so wonderful!!!! If you have not visited their blogs, DO! They are both amazingly talented and have lots of cool tutorials with great directions :o)


As for me, I spent many hours in the car and decided it was time to learn to embroidery. Why, because everyone else was doing it so I guess I just gave in to peer pressure, you know, the kind you mother warns you about...the kind that leads to a NEW addiction that requires new STUFF that you have to hide from curious eyes as you walk into the door with yet another Joann's bag or you run out to get the mail to see of that box with the word Aurifil is taped across it and stuff it under your shirt so no one will be the wiser ;o)  Yes, I have it BAD...or GOOD depending on what side of the embroidery needle you are on.

So I asked on my fb page who had some good FREE patterns and Thomas Knauer  immediately posted these that he had post a bit back on Sew Mama Sew. They are great beginner patterns and so flippin CUTE!!!

I printed them up and put them on my pile. Did I mention I decided to do this the night before we were leaving? The other requirements were Aurifil thread  Mako 12wt, Lana 12wt, Mako 28wt and Mako 40wt.  I wanted to see if I could use only Aurifil for the patterns I tried and it worked beautifully for everything! I used a 6in hoop, a needle threader, small sharp scissors, embroidery needles and some +2.00 cheater glasses that I wore on top of my regular glasses that was not a very sex kittenish look but very effective when trying to see the stitches.

 I tried different methods of putting the patterns onto the fabric and I like the iron on pencils the best. The markers left too wide of a line, the pencils have a finer line so it is easier to follow. See how the red line is very fine? And it washes right out! This giraffe is another Thomas Knauer FREE pattern!!!!



Here is my first completed embroidery


I also fell in love with Aneela Hoey's flower pattern last week! It is on her blog and it is another free pattern.


While I was in Normal, I went to the fabric store with my G-ma and found some iron on patterns. They had some super cute retro kitchen patterns so I snagged them and OMG!!!!! Time for some WalMart tea towels for this mama!!!!!



I am home again and will be back to sewing as soon as I can tear myself away form my new little hobby,LOL!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment