Saturday, August 13, 2011

LIM: Using Ink In a New Way

This week's challenge at Less Is More is a One Layer challenge to use ink, hopefully in a new way.  I can't believe that once again they read my mind!!

Over the last few weeks, I have been gathering Tim Holtz Distress Inks because I have watched a number of YouTube videos on gorgeous uses for this ink.  Yesterday, I tried a card using a foam tool to smooth the ink on the paper.  But another technique that I hadn't yet tried was to apply the ink to an acrylic block, spritz with water and stamp.  I had all the supplies out and Less Is More came along!!!





Pumpkin stickles on my berries!

I learned a few things along the way:

1. Just tap a variety of ink pads on a clean acrylic block.  Then spritz with a water mister.  Be sure to spritz until it starts beading up.


2. Initially, I used watercolor paper - assuming my use of spritzed water would require watercolor paper.  But it turns out that I got much richer colors using a smoother paper like Stampin' Up's white.  The small problem with Stampin' Up is that it is quite a thin paper and colors bleed through.  (Thus my "one layer card" is actually a white panel on top of a dry card.)  I found that Papertrey Ink's white is also smoother but thicker - it works very well also!

3. Keep a paper towel handy.  With that much water, you will get some "pools" of color when you lift the acrylic block.  You can blot them up with a paper towel.


Once again - thank you to Chrissie and Mandi for a perfectly fun challenge!

  • Stamps: DRS designs berries, sentiment by Impress Rubber Stamps

  • Paper: Stampin' Up Whisper White

  • Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Inks in Scattered Straw, Mustard Seed, Wild Honey and a touch of Rusty Hinge, Staz-On Timber Brown

  • Accessories: Pumpkin Stickles, Fine Water Mister Bottle

No comments:

Post a Comment