Sunday, November 3, 2013

Lamb Sausage Rolls

My mind gets the best of me on a regular basis.  These Lamb Sausage Rolls are a perfect example.  In my mind I picture thawing and rolling out puff pastry.  Then I start thinking of what a pain pastry can be when it sticks and rips and tears.  I picture flour on the counter, a big mess, and lots of frustration.  Before you know it I have talked myself out of making anything with pastry of any sort, which is totally a shame.

The funny thing is that puff pastry couldn't be easier to work with.  You simply thaw it and it is a dream to work with.  It never ever ever gives you fits.  Even though I know this to be true my mind still gets the best of me.  It's as if I'm waiting for the day puff pastry totally lets me down.  Thankfully, it hasn't happened yet and I can't imagine it will.  These rolls couldn't have been easier to make.  Could I really be learning to trust puff pastry? 

These Lamb Sausage Rolls were even better than I anticipated.  The puff pastry creates a very flaky and buttery exterior while the inside of the roll is soft and meaty.  At first I questioned the use of tomato sauce for dipping, but it all works together splendidly.  These rolls are very reminiscent of stromboli, but the use of lamb makes them quite unique and all their own.


Lamb Sausage Rolls
Serves 8

½ cup (35g) fresh breadcrumbs
1 pound/500g lamb mince
1 small brown onion, grated
½ cup finely chopped mint*
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
1 egg
 salt and pepper to taste
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, extra, lightly beaten (for brushing on the rolls)
Optional garnish: sesame seeds, salt, pepper, parsley, mint, garlic, etc..
For serving: tomato sauce
 
Note: I omitted the mint only because I didn't have any on hand

No comments:

Post a Comment