Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving: Gratitude

Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating today!! It is a day of gratitude and do you know what I am most grateful for at this moment - the fact that my husband does all of the Thanksgiving cooking!!

My card of Thanksgiving includes a wonderful sentiment - one that I most definitely could do a better job of living by.

Gratitude

A week or so ago, I mentioned my husband's leftover turkey soup and that I liked it better than the actual Thanksgiving.  It's also the reason that we rarely accept invitations to other's Thanksgiving meals - we wouldn't have the leftovers for the soup!  And I am going to share it here.  There's really nothing fancy about it - it's mostly just dumping in everything you have left over!


Leftover Turkey Soup

1 leftover turkey carcass
2 bay leaves
1 pinch marjoram
1 pinch thyme
1 pinch basil
2 Tblsp butter
3 Tblsp flour
1/4 cup rice
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups fresh mushrooms
1 handful thin or medium egg noodles
1/2 cup chopped parsley
3 Tblsp sherry
Leftover gravy, stuffing, potatoes, vegetables, cranberries, etc.
Chicken stock

Take all meat off the bone and set meat aside. Cover with water, add spices, salt and pepper and simmer slowly for 3-4 hours. Remove bones and strain for stock.

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in stock. (It should be 1 1/2 to 2 quarts, if not, add chicken stock). Bring to a boil.

Add rice, celery, onion and a handful of noodles. Simmer 25-30 minutes.  Saute mushrooms. Add to soup with diced turkey meat, all leftovers, and parsley. At serving time, add sherry.

Enjoy!


My card uses the sketch from clean&simple stamping. I've used it twice this week - it must be a keeper!


I'm also playing along with Crazy 4 Challenges Thankful theme and Simon Says Stamp Anything Goes.

  • Stamps: Sweet Stamp Shop Fall Gratitude
  • Paper: Papertrey Ink Soft Stone
  • Ink: Memento Black, Copics, Papertrey Ink Soft Stone (the small shadows)
  • Accessories: Hemptique white twine, Neat & Tangled Crystal Clear sequins, Papertrey Ink Summer Sunrise button

No comments:

Post a Comment