Saturday, December 4, 2010

Pancetta and Cinnamon Waffles



I love waking up to a blanket of snow on the ground, watching the snowflakes hit the ground. The snow is like a blanket of magic and wonder, so pretty and captivating. On mornings like this, I love to open up my blinds and watch the falling snow as I cook in the peace and quiet of winter, one of my favorite seasons. The falling snow gives me all the reason I need to whip up a hearty breakfast, one that will warm the belly and fill the soul.



I'm talking about a full-on, carb-loving, food-coma-inducing plate full of Pancetta and Cinnamon Waffles. Yep! Grab a pillow-- because if you eat one, you're either going to be taking a nap or laying on the couch. Save playing in the snow for another day.



Pancetta and Cinnamon Waffles

Adapted from Giada At Home

Serves 4-6, depending on serving size

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1 tablespoon olive oil

3 (4 ounce) slices of pancetta, each about 1/4 inch thick, diced into 1/4 pieces

3 cups Belgian Waffle Mix, such as Krusteaz

2 large eggs

1/3 cup vegetable oil for the waffles, plus more for the waffle iron

1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt



Preheat the oven to 350F.



Spread the walnuts in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until toasted and fragrant. Set aside to cool.



Preheat and lightly grease a waffle iron.



Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until brown and crispy, 3-5 minutes. Transfer the pancetta to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.



In a large mixing bowl, combine the waffle mix, eggs, vegetable oil, 1-1/2 cups water, the cinnamon, and salt. Using a whisk, blend the ingredients together until smooth. Stir in the pancetta. Pour batter, using the amount recommended by the waffle iron manufacturer's instructions, into the preheated waffle iron. Cook waffles for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.



Place the waffles onto serving plates. Sprinkle with the chopped walnuts and drizzle with the maple syrup. Serve immediately.



Notes/Results: These waffles are a real treat. Chock full of pancetta and perfectly spiced with cinnamon, they are the perfect way to start a lazy day. (Not that I would know anything about a lazy day). You believe me, right?



I Heart Cooking Clubs now celebrating the recipes of Giada De Laurentiis.



Also for Brenda's Cookbook Sundays event over @Brenda's Canadian Kitchen.



Last, but not least, for Roz @ La Bella Vita for her Fresh Fridays/Seasonal Saturdays event, which is open for the rest of the week.



Note: I've been getting messages that readers are unable to leave me comments. I'm not sure why this is happening. I have been getting this error message every time I try to publish a post. Anyone have any idea what that's all about? If you do, please shoot me an email at tony.tracy@att.net.



Your HTML cannot be accepted: Closing tag has no matching opening tag: A



Stop showing HTML errors for the body of this post

No comments:

Post a Comment