Monday, March 21, 2011

Moosewood Mondays: White Rabbit Salad

 
Spring is officially here and that means that bathing suit season is right around the corner.  Every year I tell myself that I'm not going to gain weight over the winter.  Sometimes I even try to convince myself that I'm going to lose weight over the winter.  Who am I kidding though?  It's almost impossible to resist all that good comfort food that winter brings.

So as of right now, I'm on a mission to lighten things up.  Immediately!  Those shorts and tank tops from last year....they don't fit, which is a real problem since it's already in the 70's here.  Over the weekend I revamped the fridge and pantry, stocking up on lots of fruit, veggies, and lean proteins.  Now I'm on the hunt for fun, colorful, and healthy recipes and this White Rabbit Salad is the perfect start!
White Rabbit Salad
Adapted from Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen
Serves 4-5 as a main course OR 6-8 as a side dish

3 cups cottage cheese (may be lowfat)
1-2 Tablespoons honey (optional), to taste
2-3 Tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
1/4  cup (packed) raisins or currants
1/2 cup chopped, toasted, nuts
1 Tablespoon poppyseeds
2 medium-sized tart apples, diced

Plus Many Options:
Fresh Peach slices
Fresh Pear slices
Seedless red or green grapes
Orange sections
Chunks of ripe honeydew or cantaloupe

Combine everything and chill.
Notes/Results:  It's been ages since I've had cottage cheese and I really enjoyed this salad, both deconstructed and in it's parfait form.  It's got a very nice contrast of flavors and textures and makes for a wonderful and healthy snack or breakfast.  I used 2% cottage cheese and added the lemon juice, honey, raisins, chopped and toasted walnuts, cubes of golden delicious apple, cubes of fresh ripe pear, halved red grapes, cantaloupe, and garnished with poppyseed, honey, and a little sprinkling of chopped walnuts.  The first time I served the salad somewhat deconstructed on top of a cantaloupe wedge.  The second time I mixed it all together, following the recipe, and served it in parfait glasses.  Loved it!
HAPPY SPRING!!!!
This post is linked to Moosewood Mondays and Souper Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment