Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pastina with Peas and Carrots

This week at I Heart Cooking Clubs we have Spring Fever.  Except...I have a confession to make.  I'm not ready for spring.  To me, spring means less time in the kitchen and more time outside.  I'm not really an outside person.  I am a kitchen person.  You see the dilemma.  It may sound crazy, but I love winter because it's quiet and peaceful and I don't have to feel guilty about spending hours in the kitchen. But when spring rolls around....LOOK OUT!  The action is nonstop and I always find myself short on time.  So I know it sounds kinda crazy, but spring is a little bittersweet for me.  I look forward to the warmer weather, the fresh produce, and trips to the farmers market, BUT (and it's a big but) I really miss the solitude of my kitchen that only winter can bring.  I wouldn't dare tell this to anyone else for fear that it sounds somewhat strange, but it's true.  Plus, I think you guys will understand where I'm coming from.

Now that I've shared that, I should tell you that this recipe is one that I can see myself making over and over and over.  It initially caught my eye because I thought the pasta, with it's peas and carrots, would be perfect for our Spring Fever theme.  I knew the family would enjoy it, but I was surprised by how much we loved it!  It's a very pleasing and mild dish, but yet it has quite a bit of flavor to it.  This pasta is a combination of all sorts of yummy ingredients: baby farfalle pasta, onion, peas, carrots, and both mascarpone and cream cheese. This recipe is very much like a macaroni and cheese and is a successful way to get kids to eat their veggies.  What's not to like about that?
Pastina with Peas and Carrots
Recipe sourced online from Food Network
Serves 6
  • 1/2 pound (8 ounces) pastina or other small-shaped pasta, such as farfallini
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
  • 1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
  • 1/2 cup (4 ounces) cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup (4 ounces) mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, reserving about 1 cup of the pasta water.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, about 7 minutes. Add the carrots and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add the peas to the pan and cook for 2 minutes until the peas are warmed through and the carrots are tender. Stir in the cooked pasta. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cheeses. Stir until the mixture is incorporated and forms a sauce. Season with salt, to taste. Transfer to a large serving bowl and garnish with chopped basil.

Notes/Results:  I can see myself making this recipe numerous times in the future.  It's one of those good standby recipes that the whole family enjoys.  It's not that it's mind-blowing or anything like that, it's just something that is surprisingly delicious, easy, and a very good alternative to serve the family.  For all of these reasons, I think it's probably one of my favorite Giada recipes in the past six months.  Definitely a winner!
Head on over to vote for the next male chef.  Pick from Rick Bayless, Bobby Flay, or Jamie Oliver!


No comments:

Post a Comment