Friday, March 25, 2011

Cooking with the younger human!

Adam loves to cook! He would rather be on a chair in the kitchen with me than anywhere else. He will even turn off Animal Crossing to come in the kitchen with me ;o) So I decided to try a Moosewood gnocchi recipe and asked if he would like to help. It is from the Lowfat cookbook that I have an use a lot.

If you look at the very first ingredient you can clearly see it calls for baked potatoes. Please remember that when making gnocchi because it will not, I have to repeat, will not form a dough if the potatoes are raw no matter how much flour you add. The lesson I learned here is to read recipes only while wearing my now necessary glasses.



Little Mr. Man helped me gather all the ingredients and we placed them together to make certain we had everything needed. We did which was a pleasant surprise.


We had everything chopped and ready to go into the food processor and that is when I knew something was not quite right. It was very wet and not setting up as a dough at all.


Then it just turned into a hummus looking mixture that looked neat in the processor but not what I was looking for as dinner. It did have a wonderful aroma with all the garlic and basil so all was not lost!



After baking some other potatoes we started over and we were able to get to the point where I can show you my favorite bowl. This is a Pyrex bowl that was given to me in a set from my cousin in law Rick. It was my husband's grandmother's set and my first vintage Pyrex. I look for them all the time and have a few. This set is and will remain my favorite.



Adam was hard at work making sure the cheese was taken care of in the making of dinner.  Adam is part mouse and will eat any cheese you put in front of him. This one is the very delicious romano.


He did teach himself how to grate the cheese to make it useable. I was very proud of him.


We finally made the dough and this is what it should look like.

We then threw together a Pomodoro sauce with olive oil, red onion, garlic, tomatoes, sugar, salt and some basil...


When all was said and done the result was amazing. Gnocchi are little pockets of heaven and I know we will make them again. Taking all precautions and wearing my glasses!

No comments:

Post a Comment