Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Creamy Mango Ice


I have a confession.  I buy packages of cubed mango in the freezer section of my grocery store.  When the craving strikes I take out a package and let it thaw just a bit.  When the mango is semi-frozen I start popping those cubes straight into my mouth.  Talk about tasty.  Those semi-frozen cubes are so creamy and sweet.  It's like a dreamy tropical treat that you don't have to feel guilty about.  

While paging through my copy of Mexican Everyday I saw this recipe for Creamy Mango Ice and I was smitten.  I had to make it...and soon.  I blended up a bag of frozen mangoes with some water, sugar, corn syrup, and lime juice.  I tasted it.  Then I tasted it again.  If you taste something several times is it still considered tasting?  Finally I had the willpower to pour it into a 9 x 13 dish and set it in the freezer.  I set the timer for 2 hours and tried to forget about it.  Unfortunately, I kept going back to the freezer and taking a bite.  After two and a half hours and lots of stirring there was a good amount missing. Then my son tasted it and I think he liked it as much as I did.  Let's just say there was barely enough left for the picture.  This mango ice is cold, icy, refreshing and incredibly delicious. Consider this a warning. 


Creamy Mango Ice
Adapted from Mexican Everyday
by Rick Bayless
Serves 6

1-1/2 cups pureed fresh mango pulp (peel and pit the mangoes, 
then puree in a food processor or blender)**
1 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup fresh lime juice

Note: I used a 12 oz. package of frozen cubed mangoes, but you really need about a 15 oz. package OR about 4-6 fresh mangoes, depending on their size and amount of puree they yield

Begin by pureeing a 12/15 oz. package of frozen mangoes and/or 5-6 fresh cubed mangoes.  You should have 1-1/2 cups pureed fresh mango pulp.  Add in 1 cup of water, 2/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup corn syrup and 1/3 cup fresh lime juice.  Blend in blender or food processor until well blended.  

Pour the mixture into the canister of your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions.  The ice will have the best texture if you transfer it from the ice cream maker into a container and let it firm up for several hours in the freezer.  Alternatively, pour the mixture into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish, slide it into the freezer and "still-freeze" the mixture - stir it thoroughly after 45 minutes, then twice more at 15-minute intervals.  

The ice is best eaten within 24 hours.  Scoop it into small dishes and garnish with lime zest and/or slices.

Theme:  Sweet Tooth


No comments:

Post a Comment