Sunday, July 3, 2011

Less Is More: Shades of Blue

This week's Less Is More challenge is a color challenge...we are to use Shades of Blue.




I used some of the new Stampin' Up In Colors - Pool Party and Island Indigo, then added the sentiment in Not Quite Navy.  The stamps are done by inking them up in Pool Party and then "thumping" randomly on the stamp with the Island Indigo marker.  Everything is more toned down than the actual colors because as a last step, I dipped a sponge dauber into Frost White Shimmer Paint and coated the stamp before stamping.  (See my Shimmer Paint tutorial for more details.)

I wanted to get this Shades of Blue challenge done because I had to tell you about the BLUEjay that has adopted my cats!  I have assumed this was a truly evil bird as it sits in the tree outside our sun porch and squawks at the cats.


But then one day, my husband let our indoor cats outside to have a go at this bird.  After rolling happily in the dirt for awhile, they sat under the tree and looked at the bird.  The bird was just above them. Then they started swatting at the bird.  He jumped up one branch...just out of the way.  Then they started jumping.  He just kept moving slightly out of the way!

So my husband announced it was all a game for them.  I was quite skeptical until one day, the cats were in the windowsill in our upstairs bedroom.  That darn bluejay was sitting on the gutter and you could just see its head peeking over the edge, looking the in the window. 

Now I have realized that whatever room the cats are in, the bird is right outside the window.  Or...I have noticed the cats going from room to room looking for the bird.  It's definitely keeping them amused!!




I just wish bluejays weren't quite so loud.

FYI: I am heading up to the mountains this afternoon.  The little town of Frisco is the PERFECT place to celebrate the Fourth of July.  It starts with everybody walking down to the fire station for a pancake breakfast, followed by a parade in which the highlight are the kids riding their decorated bicycles.  The festivities continue all day ending with fireworks shot off over the big lake. We can actually sit on our sailboat and see them immediately over us. (Of course, we also have to deal with cleaning up the ash on the boat the next day!)   I will be back and hopefully cardmaking again this Friday.

This is my second post today so keep reading!!

  • Stamps: StampingScrapping Spellbinders Matching Stamps, Stampin' Up Bliss
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Not Quite Navy, Island Indigo, Pool Party
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Island Indigo, Pool Party
  • Accessories: Stampin' Up Frost White Shimmer Paint, gems colored with copics, Spellbinders Fancy Tags, misc ribbon

No comments:

Post a Comment