Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tex-Mex Meat Loaf with A Chipotle-Tomato Glaze


I attempt to write my menu plan based on the sales in the store, but I always allow myself to pick a few recipes that I simply just want to make.  Lately what I want is pretty much anything from The Homesick Texan cookbook.  It's my go-to cookbook for the moment.    

I have a favorite recipe for your classic everyday meat loaf, but this recipe for Tex-Mex Meat Loaf with Chipotle-Tomato Glaze has been calling to me ever since I first laid eyes on it.  I blame it all on the chorizo.  The idea of adding chorizo to meat loaf was completely intriguing to me. 

This meat loaf is dense in texture, packed with lots of flavor (chorizo, cilantro, onions, garlic, cumin, and oregano), and topped with a glaze that is spicy from the chipotle and slightly tangy from the lime.  It's not your everyday meat loaf.  It's meat loaf with a punch of flavor.  My husband who loves all these ingredients separately, did not love this meat loaf.  He said he preferred a normal old-fashioned meat loaf to this recipe.  I have to agree with him.  I certainly appreciated and enjoyed all the flavors in this recipe, but I think I prefer a simple old-fashioned meat loaf best.
  





Tex-Mex Meat Loaf with A Chipotle-Tomato Glaze
Adapted from The Homesick Texan by Lisa Fain
Serves 10-12

For the Chipotle-Tomato Glaze:
1 cup crushed canned tomatoes, preferable fire roasted
1/2 or 1 canned chipotle chile in adobo (depending on how much heat you like)
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 -3 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper, to taste

For the Meat Loaf:
1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 medium yellow onion, finely diced
4 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 pound Mexican chorizo, removed from casing
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 large eggs
1 cup finely ground crackers or tortilla chips (or a combo of the two)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with foil.  Butter or grease the foil so the meat loaf does not stick.

To make the chipotle-tomato glaze, in a blender, puree until smooth the crushed tomatoes, chipotle chiles, lime juice, and garlic.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

To make the meat loaf, heat the oil in a skillet on medium-low heat, and add the onion.  Cook uncovered for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds.  

Slide the cooked onions and garlic into a large bowl.  Add to the bowl the ground beef, the chorizo, cilantro, eggs, ground crackers (I used Ritz) or tortilla chips, oregano, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and salt.  With your hands, gently mix all ingredients until well combined.

Take the meat and form it into a loaf.  Place it on the sheet and take half of the chipotle-tomato glaze and spread it on top of the meat loaf.  Place meat loaf in the oven and bake for 50 minutes.  Remove from the oven, spread the remaining chipotle-tomato glaze on top, and place back in the oven for about 10 more minutes.  Let the cooked meat loaf sit for 15 minutes and then slice with a serrated knife and serve.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment