Monday, January 10, 2011

Why I Do What I Do!!

Hi There,

I took a quick trip this past weekend. I flew to Dallas, TX. I just went overnight so it was a very quick trip but it was for a good cause and it was a busy weekend. I spent the time at a beautiful hotel in a meeting room with a group of scientists and two fellow advocates. We sat around the room with laptops in front of us and we discussed a series of grant proposals. The main topic of all of them was Basic Biology-Micro Metastases. That was the name of the panel we were on and all of the grant proposals we were reviewing were proposing research on that very subject. It was the job of the panel to determine which of those research projects were the best ones. The ones that are destined to become the  ones that Susan G. Komen for the Cure will fund. They will fund these grants with the money that we advocates raise in the trenches...but that is a story for another day...

It was long, there was serious discussion, as you can imagine. But there was also laughter, and a very real sense of purpose. We advocates were there to give voice to the needs and opinions of the patient and to give breast cancer a face. We are well respected. It was a pleasure to take part. These scientists have faces to take to the bench with them.

While we dined together, we talked and one of the things I talked about was this blog, and one blog in particular came to mind...I encourage you to read it if you haven't...it is called "Why We Walk" Please click and give it a quick read...It speaks to what I do in my spare time and why...I spoke of Bridget and how what we were doing is directly affecting her...I was so tickled with this and happy. We all were.

As it became clear to the panel that we were finishing up prior to the scheduled end time, we all began to grab earlier flights. The weather in Dallas was a mess, it was snowing!

When I got home and unpacked, I sat down and checked my blogs I found an update from Bridget...check it out! My Big Girl Pants(scan Results) That is Bridget's blog...Please click on it...

It seems our work is not done...So I see again, why I was in Dallas for the weekend, and why I spent all that time reviewing those grants, and why we continue to discuss and fund. We are trying Bridget. I hope we can stay ahead of your nemesis!

Stay with me!
Stay Pink!

No comments:

Post a Comment