Thursday, January 27, 2011

pinked felt wreath

I saw this felt wreath on The Idea Room blog and loved it! I ran out and purchased the supplies and sat down to cut out a lot of 3" circles from felt.

I couldn't wait until February to hang it, so it's on the mirror over the fireplace already. This project is super simple and doable and looks beautiful. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it. After my crafty girlfriends saw mine, we made them for craft group.


Here's a quick tutorial of my version. I changed things up just a bit. I love anything with scalloped or pinked edges, so I cut my circles with pinking shears instead of regular scissors. I love, love, love the texture it adds.


SUPPLIES:
Styrofoam wreath
I used a 10" circle wreath so it would fit nicely on my mirror. Use an "extruded" form. It's more dense than the more hole-y styrofoam and the pins will stay in better.

One yard of 72" wide heavy-weight felt 
Definitely use a heavier-weight felt. It's more expensive, but well worth it. I found mine at Joanne's for $6.99 a yard. The lightweight felt will require you to use more, which means you'll need to cut and cut and cut more circles. The heavyweight felt also gives the wreath a more quality look.

One yard of felt was enough for two 10" wreaths--one for you and another for a special someone. Or keep them both. I'm thinking ahead and making two of many projects I make this year so I have gifts for Christmas. If you plan to make only one, purchase about 2/3 yard because the last row of circles hits the center of a yard of fabric.

3" circle template
I cut a template from chipboard and used a black fine tip marker to trace my circles onto the felt. (The top of a 15 oz. can is also the right size. Use the type of can opener that doesn't leave a sharp edge.) Cut right inside the line of each circle so no ink shows. A 10" wreath takes about 120 circles. I added another 25 on the back so the reflection on the mirror doesn't show the wreath form. My second wreath is 8" and I love it just as much.

My friend Jen made the heart shape wreath and a ball to fit on top of a candle holder. She said it took almost the entire yard of felt.

dressmaker pins
I used general purpose sewing pins--Dritz Dressmaker Pins Size 17 or 1 1/18" size.

pinking shears (or regular fabric scissors for a more ruffle-y look.)

2" ribbon
I used white grosgrain for Valentine's and will swap it out at Christmas for some gorgeous green vintage satin ribbon my friend Maggie gave me. Thanks again, Maggie!

DIRECTIONS:
Step 1: Trace and cut three-inch circles from felt with pinking shears.


Step 2: Fold  felt circle in half, then in half again.



Step 3: Pin through the bottom of the folded circle and push into the styrofoam wreath.


Tip: I've seen other wreaths and projects made with this technique. One thing I really like is when the circles go in all directions instead of just one way. So push a circle into the wreath and then place the one next to in facing the opposite direction. You'll end up with a more paisley-ish design instead of a stacked one. It also makes the wreath look fuller.


Step 4:  Add a ribbon hanger by pinning a length of ribbon onto the back of the wreath and then pinning the ribbon again back on itself to give a nice finished edge

Step 5: Hang, enjoy and take compliments graciously.

UPDATE:
My uber-creative friend, Jen Ostler, made a Halloween version of the felt wreath for our Super Saturday RS meeting. Love it!


We couldn't find a heavier-weight orange felt and it took almost an entire yard for this 12" wreath. She found the spider at JoAnn's. It was actually part of a pick, she just clipped the wire and inserted it into the styrofoam.

No comments:

Post a Comment