Monday, January 17, 2011

Chicken Croquettes & Rotisserrie Chicken to the Rescue!

Rotisserie chicken.  I usually buy one every week.  Most weeks we have quite a bit of leftover chicken.  Over the years I've made lots of things with that leftover chicken: nachos, salads, chicken salad, soup, sandwiches, pizza, risotto, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas, potpie, casseroles, pasta, and macaroni and cheese. I've literally beat all those options to death.  I was ready for a new take on leftover chicken.

During a recent trip to the library, I picked up this book, Rotisserie Chickens to the Rescue! by Carla Fitzgerald Williams.  The book has 125 simple recipes for already-roasted chickens, but does not have any pictures.  Saying that, it is a great source for fun and unique ways to use up that leftover chicken.  Not to mention, the book is available on Amazon for mere pennies, pretty much the cost of shipping(I have had great success buying used cookbooks from Amazon).  Thanks to this book, I now have a few new methods/recipes for using up that leftover chicken.

Last week I tried Chicken Croquettes for the first time and they were a big hit!  I love the possibilities with the chicken croquette.  You can dress them up and make them fancy or serve them just as is.  Either way they are delicious.  I love that you can make them your own by changing out the seasonings. I also like that they have a lot of serving options: on their own with a dipping sauce, on top of a salad, as a patty on a bun, mini-sized in little lettuce cups...you get the idea.  Lots of possibilities. I'm definitely going to be having fun testing different variations.
Chicken Croquettes
Adapted from Rotisserie Chickens to the Rescue!
Makes 4 servings
Sauce:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, drained
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
Squirt of freshly-squeezed lemon juice
Pinch of cayenne (optional)

Croquettes:
2-1/2 cups small shreds rotisserie chicken, skin removed (some dark meat preferred)
1/2 bunch green onions, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup) *I subbed one finely chopped jalapeno
3 tablespoons mayo
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
2 teaspoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon minced garlic
20 individual soda crackers  (I used about 1/2 to 1/3 cup breadcrumbs)
1 egg, beaten with a pinch of salt

2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided

Make the sauce: Stir the ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.

Make the Croquettes: Toss together the chicken, onion, bell pepper (or jalapeno), mayo, parsley, Old Bay seasoning, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic in a medium bowl.  Crumble the crackers over the mixture, making fine crumbs (or pour in the breadcrumbs).  Pour the egg over all and toss well to combine.  Use a 1/3 cup measure to scoop up the mixture.  Form oval croquettes (I just made patties) about 3 inches long by 3/4-inch high by putting the mixture between the palms of your hands and pressing down firmly but gently.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add the croquettes and cook until golden brown on one side, about 4 minutes.  Turn and cook until the other side turns a light brown and the tops of the croquettes are firm to the touch, about 2 minutes.  Press down gently with the spatula and add more oil as needed.  Serve immediately with a dollop of sauce.

Notes/Results:  I really like the concept of a chicken croquette and see myself making these a lot.  I love the crispy exterior and the meaty interior.  I served mine with a lightly dressed couscous salad and it was a big hit.  A winner recipe for sure.

What do you like to do with your leftover chicken?  I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment