Sunday, December 4, 2011

Freshly Made and colourQ: Reindeer and Ornaments

I like to play along with Freshly Made Sketches as often as possible.  They have a requirement that the card be "clean" - not necessarily simple - and that is exactly my style.

With this week's sketch, I pictured Christmas ornaments.  Then I decided to go a unique direction and pair it withe blues in this week's colourQ challenge.

That's when things started getting out of control!!  Wouldn't the background look nice with some white, sparkly spritz.  Then I should sponge the edges.  Then I needed to add some glitter to the top of each ornament because of the snow.  And pretty soon this card was out of my personal definition of  "clean"!  But I LOVE it - it's one of my favorite Christmas cards this year.


I spritzed it with Mr. Huey's sprays - both Calico White and Calico Shine.


Here's the sketch....
Here's the colors...


So I decided that I wouldn't be posting that card for Freshly Made and I had to make another.  I'm going to show you both of them in this post so you can see how wildly different cards can be made with the same sketch.  (I recently read a blog post...not one of my faithful followers/commenters so no one take offense...that stated how much she hated sketch challenges because they were so limiting.)  Limiting??!!  Check out this card and see how "limited" that I was...


An entirely different look, isn't it??

The reindeer is from an old Stampin' Up set called Holiday Sampler.  I found it when I was rummaging around for a sentiment for the first card - it was literally dusty!!  So I simply had to use it.

I ran a glue pen around the edge of each piece and dipped it glitter for a subtle shine.


Of course, any one who dislikes sketch challenges is obviously wrong...but it's OK that I really dislike inspiration challenges!!

THREE ORNAMENTS:
  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Oh My Word (ornament), Season of Joy (sentiment)
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Whisper White, Sahara Sand, Marina Mist
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Night of Navy, Marina Mist, Bashful Blue, Sahara Sand, Colorbox Frost White
  • Accessories: Mr. Huey Calico White and Calico Shine, Martha Stewart snowflake border punch, Stampin' Up Marina Mist Taffeta, sparkly twine and Decorative Ornament Punch (just the top)
RUDOLPH AND HIS PALS:
  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Holiday Sampler, Teeny Tiny Wishes
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Garden Green, Frostwood Lodge dsp, Red Glitter Paper
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, Cherry Cobbler
  • Accessories: Stampin' Up Cherry Twine, Garden Green Grosgrain, Oval punch, border punch, label and modern label punch, Cuttlebug snowflake folder

No comments:

Post a Comment