Thursday, December 15, 2011

Cathedral window pin cushion {tutorial}

I found a great way to try a cathedral window with one simple useful square! I wanted to make a gift for a sewing friend, a master seamstress you all know ( I am sure) and thought she could use a pincushion.  I know I seem to always need a pincushion and should probably make about a dozen of these for myself ;o)  

If after you try this one and decide you like it and want to take it further there are some great tutorials on {House} of A La Mode for a pillow and  hyena in petticoats for a whole quilt ( this is the one I was inspired by). 

You can also make a much larger version of this as a 16 in pillow for your sofa or chair , I made a tutorial for Pellon Projects and there is a FREE pdf with all the instructions ready to go! The Cathedral Window Pillow Cushion



Cut your solid square ( if you like a print) 10.5 inches


Cut your template, I used a folder I found in the filing drawer, to 9 inches


Cathedral windows are mostly folding and ironing. Now we will be doing the origami ironing. Fold the corner over the edge of the template and iron into place. Then repeat on the other three sides.


Next fold the edges down and press. Repeat on the other three sides and you will have...

This!!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!


Take the template out at this point


Fold your square in half and press

This is what it looks like if you fold one side back


Fold the opposite way and press again. When you open your square it will look like this

Time for more folding. Fold the outer corners in and press

It will look like this when all four have been pressed


Now do it all again. Fold each of the corners in and press

Done with the folding/ ironing part!!!!

This part is optional. I wanted to have the fabric in the center but you do not have to when you make yours :o) I cut a 4.25 in square and placed it in the center


When you close the doors it looks like this


A quick stitch in both directions to secure it in place 



Grab that scrap bin and start pulling out some of your favorites!!!! 

This is not perfect so you can just fiddle and put what you like. 


when you figure out what you like then place it in one side and fold over the side. It will almost naturally fall into a beautiful curve. If you feel like you need to pin it into place.

Starting at the top of the curve sew it into place. I like to use the center mark of my foot as my guide




Almost done!!!!


The backing is one piece of 7 in sq fabric ( I used a bigger cut in this pic but it is not necessary) cut in half. Se this together leaving a 2.5in gap in the center for turning later.


Center the block on top


Sew around all four corners


Trim the excess

Turn the cushion inside out and stuff!!!!! I closed mine using the magnifying glass and a blindstitch, which seemed pretty appropriate.

Add a button and there is a beautiful cathedral window and a wonderful quick gift!!!


I hope you enjoy making this as much as I did!!!! Sara, I hope you love your new cushion!!!!!

I have started a flickr group and would LOVE for you to share your pincushions {or anything else really}. It is for cathedral windows of all kinds! Hope to see your creations soon!!!!!!
Cathedral Windows Flickr Group

Linked to Finish it up Friday
Kim :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment