Tuesday, October 4, 2011

an interest in pinterest: halloween goodness

A friend in my neighborhood posted on our Google group, looking for ideas her kids could make each other for Christmas. I suggested she look on Pinterest. Here's a follow-up to my reply:

I agree with Pinterest, but be warned, it sucks you in like a giant crafty black hole, never to be heard from again. Evil. Awesome evil.
Denise

I busted up. It's true. And yes, I was the one who shared the "awesome evil" with Denise. I'm so ashamed. :)

Yep, I'm officially addicted to Pinterest. I refer to it all the time in my conversations and a couple of times, I've even dreamed I was pinning--really.

I'm always surprised by how many people don't know about it. If you're not familiar, it's a place to gather the things that interest and inspire you and "pin" them onto boards you create.

pin + interest = pinterest.

It's the perfect organizational tool. I used to have a million posts and websites "bookmarked" on my computer. But trying to find them again was a daunting and time consuming task. Now I simply go to Pinterest, open my boards, and the information is all there, attached with a photo. It's pure genius.


I get ideas for activity days and Relief Society meetings, recipes, tutorials, home decor, crafts, sewing, quilting etc., from the site. Here's a list of my personal boards (or categories):
  • buttons
  • celebrate
  • cupcakes
  • digi
  • ella's room
  • fashion love
  • garlands
  • health
  • hints
  • holidays
  • home
  • kate
  • kids
  • little fashion love
  • make
  • organization
  • it's all in the packaging
  • photography
  • pink
  • polka dots
  • ribbon
  • ruffles
  • salads and fruits
  • sew sweet
  • stuff i love
The boards pretty much sum up my lifestyle and the things I love.

Here are a few things I pinned for Halloween onto my "holidays" board:


1. fabric pumpkins pattern: retro mama etsy shop; 2. spider handprints: childsource.ca; 3. halloween wordart: coco prints etsy shop; 4. pumpkin-filled lanterns: inspiration for decoration blog; 5. halloween crackers: martha stewart; 6. halloween tablescape: gordon gossip blog; 7. trick-or-treat bucket: two sisters designs etsy shop; 8. halloween labels: blush printables etsy shop;
9. monogram pumpkin tutorial: butler's blog

Another great aspect of Pinterest, is that you get to see what everyone else is pinning and can pin them onto your own boards. That means there are a million other eyes out there looking for the best ideas and inspiration. It's a major time saver--unless you spend too much time pinning and that's when the evil comes in. :) You can also follow others boards who have similar tastes and styles to see just what they've added. I spend ten or fifteen minutes here or there pinning away. It's my un-guilty pleasure.

If you want to join in the fun, drop me an e-mail and I'll invite you. Or you can request an invite on the site, but it takes much longer.

So celebrate Halloween early and enjoy some awesome evil-ness. :) Get pinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment