Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mexican Chicken with Jalapeno Popper Sauce and Chili Powder-Scented Rice


This recipe for Mexican Chicken with Jalapeno Popper Sauce is one of my new favorites. I found the recipe over at Julie's great blog, Mommie Cooks. I knew instantly that we would love it and I was right. I made it last week and put it back into the dinner rotation for this week. It's creamy, spicy and soul satisfying and will definitely be a regular dinner staple for us.

Julie created a genius recipe when she put this together. What's not to like about spice rubbed chicken served with a decadently creamy cheese sauce spiked with minced jalapeno peppers, cilantro and bacon? It's perfectly delicious. Please visit Julie's site HERE to check out her gorgeous step by step pictures.

The chicken is perfectly delicious on it's own, but does go well with rice. I decided to spice up my rice today and made Mark Bittman's Chili Powder-Scented Rice for this week's potluck theme over at I Heart Cooking Clubs. Bittman offers a lot of variations on spicing up your rice, suggesting cumin, anise, caraway, curry, all kinds of fun ideas. I'm glad I chose the chili powder. Not only did it pair well with our meal, but it was a fun red color.

Chili Powder-Scented Rice
Adapted from Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything
Makes 4 servings

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, minced
1 tablespoon chili powder
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2-1/2 cups chicken, beef or veggie stock (or water), heated to the boiling point
minced cilantro leaves for garnish

Place the oil in a medium saucepan or skillet over medium heat. A minute later, add the onion and cook, stirring, until it wilts, 3-5 minutes.

Add the chili powder (or spice you are using) and stir to coat with oil; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute; add salt and pepper.

Turn the heat to low and add the liquid. Cover and cook 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed. Garnish and serve.

Head on over to I Heart Cooking Clubs today to check out everyone's potluck dishes! Better yet, join the fun and cook along with us. We still have 7 more weeks to celebrate Mark Bittman.

I'm also sending this over to Brenda at Brenda's Canadian Kitchen for her Cookbook Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment