Monday, August 9, 2010

Popsicle of the Week: Katie Lee's Honey-Cherry Yogurt Popsicles


I've really been enjoying Katie Lee's newest book, The Comfort Table: Recipes for Everyday Occasions. Katie's book is organized by menus: Sunday Supper; Retro Cocktail Party; Spa Lunch; Garden Party; and Summer Barbecue to name just a few. These delicious Honey-Cherry Yogurt Popsicles came from the Summer Barbecue Chapter and are as simple as simple gets.


Honey-Cherry Yogurt Popsicles
Adapted from Recipes for Everyday Occasions The Comfort Table
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: at least 4 hours to freeze
1 cup plain greek-style yogurt
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pitted cherries (thawed, if frozen)

Mix the yogurt and honey until combined. Stir in the cherries. Divide among 6 ice-pop molds. Freeze at least 4 hours, until completely solid.


Notes/Results:
I loved these popsicles, the kids did not. There is just something about chunks of fruit that seem to throw the kids off. Either way, I ate them all;-) I loved the use of cherries in this recipe but you could really use any kind of fruit.

WARNING: RANT IN PROGRESS!!

In other popsicle news: I divorced my Zoku Quick Pop Maker. The only time I plan on using it is for straight up fruit juice popsicles. I mentioned having problems with my Zoku a couple months ago and the folks at Zoku were kind enough to leave me a comment with some advice. At that time I was trying to use the Zoku for popsicles containing cream and half and half. The folks at Zoku informed me that the cream and half and half had too much fat content and would result in a "soft pull". "Soft pull" means that just the popsicle stick comes out leaving the popsicle in the mold. After quite a few failed attempts I was pretty frustrated. Then the folks at Zoku told me that I could use yogurt with good results. Well, I'm very sad (and quite angry to be honest) to tell you that you cannot use yogurt in the Zoku. I recently had another round of "soft pull" when using the "zoku recommended" yogurt while making this recipe for Honey-Cherry Yogurt Popsicles.

In case anyone from Zoku is reading, this little note is for you:

Greek yogurt ($2.99), Organic honey from Farmer's Market ($8), Bag of Organic Frozen Cherries ($4.49), time and frustration (priceless).

My note to all of you: Don't be seduced by the Zoku! Save yourself the $50 and just buy some old-fashioned molds like these (Kmart $2.99):

Sometimes it's just better to stick with the old-fashioned stuff that you know works!

This is my submission for the fabulous new event called Two For Tuesdays, co-hosted by my friend girlichef.

NOTE: My daughter is going back to school tomorrow. I can hardly believe that summer break is over with! I am going to close out the Popsicle of the Week feature next week with two yummy popsicle recipes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment