Monday, August 30, 2010

Where Are My Friends?


The question may seem to be an odd one at this point in my life but, it is one that I find myself asking quite a bit recently. You might ask why. I ask myself that very question...I do think that it stems from recent events that have taken place at work, the problems there seem to be cyclic. but the theme is the same. I really have recently come to the conclusion that I don't have friends there, not real ones anyway...I used to, in my old department, but it seems that we drifted apart quite early in the process and that was a long time ago. There are real regrets there. No fault.

I had friends in school, but no one really remains from early on. There is one from college, but even there, there is very little contact and we have drifted apart. I could call, but after a while one feels as though it is one sided and when the call is made, it is never a good time so...

I volunteer tirelessly for Susan G Komen for the Cure and so there are a lot of friends there also, but it is rare that we see each other that it is not related to an event. I enjoy the company of these men and women very much, and I admire each and every one of them for all of their efforts in this huge fight against breast cancer. The organization that we are associated with leaves 75% of all of the monies earned at the local level to be used in the communities in which it is raised and we are proud of that. Of the other 25%, none is used for overhead or business costs it is put toward breast cancer research and so, in our case a lot of that comes right back here as we have a few huge research institutions right here in our back yard...but I digress...

As I said, it is unusual for me to see any of those friends anywhere that is not related to a Komen event, although once in a while it does happen. I have a wicked sense of humor...sometimes I wonder if it is not always appreciated...because I do hear of others getting together...oh well...

I have a lot of cyber friends, we have a good time. I guess I am happy enough. I am really a home body kind of person. I still work full time and rotate weekends, my hours are 7am to 3:30 pm and 6am on weekends so I do get up early and so need my sleep. Maybe that's it.

Am I just being sensitive? I just don't seem to have any real girlfriends. I think I am supposed to. My daughter just graduated from HS and I wasn't involved with the school because I am so involved with Komen, so is my daughter. My daughter was involved in dance and not school related activities, so school parents were not the thing...

I read a lot which is a solitary activity...

What do you think, should I be worried? Am I lacking? Do I need to go out and find me a girlfriend to call my own?

Staying Pink!

No comments:

Post a Comment