Saturday, August 14, 2010

Symon Sundays: Slash and Burn Grouper and Zucchini Crudo





I've decided to join in the fun with the Symon Sundays group who is cooking their way through Michael Symon's new book, Live to Cook. This time around they are making Symon's Slash and Burn Grouper and Zucchini Crudo.



The grouper is slashed and seasoned with jerk seasoning, seared on one side and finished in the oven. It is served with a pan sauce made from seafood stock, a nice amount of butter, fresh lime juice and roasted red pepper. Succulent, meaty and buttery this is one deliciously tasty way to enjoy any fish fillet. I spiced mine up with some extra cayenne pepper and served it with a habanero pepper on the side. We really wanted to feel the burn on this one! The recipe for the grouper can be found at Joanne's site, Eats Well With Others, HERE.



The zucchini crudo was a combination of zucchini and yellow squash sliced very thinly and combined with garlic, shallot, lemon juice and zest, olive oil, dill and sliced almonds. The texture of the almonds was wonderful against the thinly sliced squash and the dill brought the whole salad together giving it that incredible fresh flavor that only dill can deliver. The recipe for the zucchini crudo can also be found on Joanne's site, by clicking HERE.





Notes/Results:
I enjoyed both dishes and felt they were both full of flavor.I had never tried grouper before and was lucky to find a grouper fillet from a new vendor at our farmer's market this morning. I was really impressed with the meatiness of the grouper and look forward to cooking with it more in the future. We enjoy spicy foods and loved the heat in the slash and burn grouper. It was the perfect amount of heat! The zucchini crudo would be a fabulous summertime staple, very delicious.





I am also submitting the Zucchini Crudo to Deb over at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sundays roundup of soups, sammies and salads.



The Symon Sundays roundup will be featured on Ashlee's blog A Year in the Kitchen tomorrow. If you would like information about joining, you can view Ashlee's sidebar for the upcoming schedule of recipes.



Note: I apologize about the pictures of the grouper. I'm rather burnt out on picture taking lately. To complicate things, I've been relying on the natural light coming in my kitchen window to shoot all my pictures. This past week the contractors in our subdivision cut down a huge row of trees right by my window and now I get way too much sun through my "picture-taking window."



This leads me to ask you all a few questions...............



Where do you take your pictures? Do you use natural light? Do you take them outside? Do you have a lightbox? Any ideas/suggestions are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment