Thursday, April 8, 2010

Recipe #53 - Stirring the Pot: Baked Lime Pudding Cakes


My Mom's Birthday is today and she is not excited. Some women have no problem getting another year older, my Mom is not one of them. For example, I remember the year she turned 30. I was only five years old and I remember it well. My Dad and Grandpa tried telling her that 30 wasn't old, she wouldn't buy into it. Today Mom is turning 57 and even though my parents have been divorced for years, they still love each other deeply. A couple days before Mom's birthday, I always receive an endearing phone call from my Dad. First, he reminds me it is Mom's Birthday. Next, he asks me a million questions about what gift I'm buying. He always follows that up with another million questions about what special things we are going to do for her birthday. He asks me if I have enough money to do everything I want to do. He always wants to make sure there is enough. Bless his heart, my Dad is the sweetest man alive. When my Dad finally feels satisfied with my plans, he'll end the call.

Dear Dad:
We celebrated Mom's birthday all week. Tuesday morning I took her and the kids to breakfast and then we went to the zoo. It was pretty fun, but the weather was unseasonably hot and we all got a little sunburnt, but only on the left side of our body. Don't worry, we laughed about it. We bought her a new blue shirt. Yes, I remember that blue is her favorite color. We also bought her a pair of new blue pants. Mainly because you said just buying a shirt wasn't enough. I know you wanted me to buy bubble bath, but I opted for lotion and some soap she's been wanting. Since you were worried that all of that wasn't going to be enough, I made her these little lime pudding cakes. Yes, I remember that she doesn't like chocolate. Yes, I remember that she likes pies. Instead I opted for these little lime pudding cakes because lately Mom loves limes and she's always a fan of a light dessert. Don't worry because I think these pudding cakes are worthy of her. I wish you could be here to have one. You would probably like them too. Oh, yes, I will make sure to tell her you said "Happy Birthday". I know it will make her happy.




Baked Lime Pudding Cakes
Adapted from Tyler Florence's Stirring the Pot
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
superfine sugar
2 eggs, separated
2/3 cup reduced-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon lime zest
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup superfine sugar
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Lime halves and leaves, for garnish

Preheat oven to 325F. Butter and lightly sugar four 6-ounce ramekins. Using the paddle attachment on a kitchen stand mixer, beat yolks, buttermilk, lime zest, and lime juice on medium speed until well combined. Reduce the speed to low and slowly add flour, the 2/3 cup sugar, and the salt, until just combined. Transfer to another large bowl. Thoroughly wash mixing bowl with soap and hot water; return to stand mixer. Using the whisk attachment, beat egg whites in the clean bowl until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the yolk mixture, a little at a time.
Divide mixture evenly among ramekins. Place ramekins in a roasting pan and fill the pan with hot water halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake about 1 hour, until the top springs back when gently pressed and the cakes have a light golden color. Remove ramekins from water; allow to cool slightly. Carefully invert each onto a plate.

Notes/Results: Definitely a dessert worth serving Mom on her birthday. These cakes are light, soft and delicate. They have a wonderful light lime flavor and I really enjoyed the one I ate this morning (quality control, right) I had to try one before I fed it to my Mom. I would definitely make these again. I think my Mom is going to love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment