Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Restaurant Review: Wallace Station



Wallace Station
3854 Old Frankfort Pike
Versailles, KY 40383-9763
859.846.5161
wallacestation.com

Yesterday was both my husband's birthday and also our wedding anniversary. We celebrated on Friday afternoon with dinner and a movie. We don't eat out often, but when we do, I love to go to Wallace Station. A short country drive down scenic Old Frankfort Pike and we arrive at the most charming restaurant, Wallace Station.

Wallace Station is located right in the middle of horse country and is surrounded by the most gorgeous horse farms. Locals flock to Wallace Station for it's charming venue and gorgeous scenery. The menu is simple, fresh and local. There are about 20 sandwiches on freshly home-baked bread, soups, salads, freshly baked pastries, pies and sweets, and old-fashioned ice cream. Monday nights are famous for their special Fried Chicken Dinner. I've never been, but hear that it is next to impossible to get a seat. On Friday nights, they have a Fish Fry.
We like to sit out back, on the deck and under the willow trees, with a gorgeous view of the bluegrass and this old barn.
You can also sit inside, with the ever-charming diner decor and beautiful old wooden floors.

I just love the old-fashioned decor, which is so warm and inviting.
Food is ordered in line, deli style, where you can then take a seat and it will be brought out to you. On this particular day, they were extremely crowded. The line was at least 20-25 minutes long. April is the beginning of horse racing season and Wallace Station is located near Keeneland, where all the horse races take place. Lots of people come from near and far to attend the horse races at Keeneland, making Wallace Station a very popular eatery during this time.
Wallace Station uses all local ingredients, including local KY beef. Many of their sandwiches are designed with tradition southern themes. They have both hot and cold sandwiches, specializing in their wonderful beef burgers. I am a huge fan of their Pimento Cheese Burger, but I wanted to try something different this time around. I ordered The Big Brown, their take on the traditional Kentucky Hot Brown. The Big Brown burger consisted of ham, bacon, tomato, white cheddar sauce and Parmesan cheese. When my burger arrived, my husband did a double take. I think all that meat was beckoning him and he realized the error of his ways. I looked down at my burger, "the meat fest" that it was and decided that I would switch with him. There was no way I could eat all that meat.
My husband, loves their Meatloaf Burger, but also decided to go with something different this time around. He ordered their Santa Anita Burger with pepper jack cheese, bacon, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, and spicy chipotle mayo. He liked this burger, but we both decided that we ordered wrong and were happy to switch. In turn, he was very happy with his meaty Big Brown Burger and I was very happy with the Santa Anita Burger. I loved the spicy pepper jack with the chipotle mayo. Both burgers were $8.95 each and come with a side of chips. My husband ordered a lemon bar, which we shared, and with the two drinks the grand total was $27.00. Although the price is somewhat high for sandwiches and drinks, the scenery and experience makes this well worth it. Wallace Station is a wonderful place, full of character, and we adore going there.
I was happy to see that Guy Fieri, of the Food Network, had just dined here on March 10th of this year. Turns out Wallace Station will be featured on Diners, Drive-In's and Dives in the near future. Definitely a great place to eat if you are ever in the area!

In the meantime, I'm crossing my fingers to go back on a Monday night and try that Fried Chicken Dinner - Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment