Thursday, April 22, 2010

more pinkalicious fun: balloon flowers

I saw these balloon flowers on another blog and fell in love with them! I knew I had to have them for Ella's party. There were no instructions, so I asked my friend, Mr. Google, for help. As usual he came through. I did change one thing on the instructions. Design-wise it makes more sense to have an odd number of petals, so I did five instead of six like on the original instructions. (I know, once a designer, always a designer!)

I hung these puffy ones along the porch.


And had a few more daisy-style inside.


I like the second style much better. The difference is the balloon size. The puffy style uses all 12" and the daisy style uses 7". I didn't realize I'd purchased a different size until I started blowing them up. And I could only find packages of all pink balloons at the two stores I went to in the 12" size. If I had more time I might have searched out the 7".

I had so many people ask where I got the flowers and even had a lady stop to inquire. One neighbor said she and her daughters drove by the house twice to check them out. They are so simple to make. Here are the directions:


Step 1: Cut two circle templates from chipboard, one approximately 6" across and the other 4" across.

Step 2: Blow up five pink balloons (or the flower petal color of your choice), making sure they fit through the 6" hole template. (This assures they're all the same size. Cool, huh?) Blow up two yellow balloons (or the flower center color of your choice), making sure they fit through the 4" template. (Hint: Husbands make great balloon-blower-uppers.)


Step 3: Tie one set of two balloon petals together.


Step 4: Tie another set of three balloon petals together.


Step 5: Tie the two balloon centers together.


Step 6: Wrap the two balloon petals around the three balloon petals once at the center. Spread out petals so they lay flat. (On the puffy flower, they didn't stay flat until I added the center.)


Step 7: Wrap the balloon centers around the five balloon petals once, so there's one on each side.

I used fishing line to hang the flowers. I found the balloons lose their shine after a couple of days, so it's best to make them the day before or day of the party or occasion. Be sure to send me a photo if you end up making them.

No comments:

Post a Comment