Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ultimate Banana Pudding


Cool, creamy, luscious, sinful decadence. Sound good to you? Banana pudding just might be my favorite all-time dessert. Period. Yes, I love chocolate. Yes, I love peanut butter. However, there is just something about the cool, smooth, creaminess of banana pudding. It feels so good in your mouth that you just have to keep on eating it, unless you don't like bananas and if that's the case then I'm sorry for you. I truly am. You're missing out, but hey....more for the rest of us, right?

Most banana puddings use Nilla Wafers as a base. This recipe uses these delicious Pepperidge Farm Chessman cookies. You'll need two packages of the cookies if you want to fill a 9 x 13 baking dish. I tried to cut out some of the calories and fat by using only one package of cookies and using an 8 x 8 baking dish. Some of your cookies may be broken. No problem. Put the broken ones on the bottom like I did here. No one will ever see them.

Pile on your bananas. I will tell you that there is always a debate about whether you should use green-tipped bananas or freckled ripe bananas. I guess it depends on your taste. In my case, I like freckled ripe bananas for plain eating. However, this pudding is already sweet enough, so I like to use the green-tipped bananas for this recipe. I also prefer the way the green-tipped bananas hold their shape.

Onto the luscious part. The filling is a mixture of instant french vanilla pudding, sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese and either cool whip or equal parts sweetened whipped cream. I used a plain vanilla pudding, reduced fat cream cheese and cool whip. NOTE: DO NOT TEST THE FILLING! YOU WILL HAVE ONE SPOONFUL AND THEN ANOTHER AND WELL, BEFORE YOU KNOW IT.....IT MIGHT BE GONE!

Pour and smooth the filling on top of the Chessman cookies and sliced bananas. Fill your baking dish and smooth over the top. Arrange the remaining Chessman cookies on top, pushing them into the filling so that they will soften.

Cover and refrigerate for as long as you can stand it. The pudding is best if it is allowed to sit overnight in the refrigerator. The cookies will soften overnight, making it even more luscious and delicious the next day.

Completely sinful, smooth and creamy deliciousness! Probably one of my favorite desserts ever! You can find the recipe on Recipezaar, by clicking HERE.

A perfect no-bake summertime dessert for your cook-outs, BBQ's, or even just a nice family dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment