Thursday, February 17, 2011

Kicked-Up Shrimp Fried Rice

I have two things to share with you today. 

1.   I'm obsessed with shrimp right now.  I've made a lot of shrimp dishes and I plan on making quite a bit more in the coming weeks.

2. I'm convinced no one has as many shrimp recipes as Emeril.  In fact, let's just refer to him as the King of Shrimp from now on. 

This recipe for Kicked-Up Shrimp Fried Rice is the second shrimp dish I've cooked from The King of Shrimp.  A third shrimp recipe might just be gracing my table tonight.  When I obsess over something I mean business. 
 Kicked-Up Shrimp Fried Rice
Adapted from Emeril's 20-40-60
Serves 4

4 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
3 eggs, lightly beaten
salt and freshly grond black pepper
8 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used 1lb of peel and eat shrimp)
1/2 teaspoon Emeril's Original Essence or Creole Seasoning
3 green onions, white and green parts separately minced
2 teaspoons minced ginger
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 cups cooked white rice
1 tablespoon dark Asian sesame oil
2 cups (about 12 ounces) frozen stir-fry veggies, defrosted (I used red bell pepper and edamame)
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon soy sauce 

Heat 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil in a large s
killet or wok over high heat.  When it is hot, add the eggs and a pinch of salt and pepper, and quickly stir until the eggs are fully cooked, moving the skillet off and on the heat as necessary, about 40 seconds.  Transfer the eggs to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.  Chop the eggs into small pieces when cool enough to handle.

Add 1 tablespoon of the remaining peanut oil to the skillet.

In a small bowl, season the shrimp with the Essence and a pinch of salt and pepper.  When the oil is hot, add the shrimp to the skillet, in batches if necessary, and cook until pink and lightly caramelized, about 2 minutes per side.  Remove from the skillet and set aside.

Add the remaining 2 tablespoons peanut oil to the skillet.  Add the green onion bottoms (white portion), the ginger, and the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds.  Add the rice and cook, tossing, until it is hot and golden, about 2 minutes.  Add the sesame oil and the stir-fry vegetables, and cook until heated through, 1 minute.  Add the soy sauce, the reserved cooked eggs, and the shrimp, and cook until everything is warmed through, about 1 minute.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, garnish with green onion tops, and serve.
Notes/Results:  I love fried rice and found this meal to be perfect in every way. I had leftover rice on hand so this meal was really quick for me.  Ten minutes of prep and ten minutes of cooking.  A  quick tasty dinner with minimal cleanup is always a winner for me!

I've also been enjoying the kitchen department at Marshall's (maybe a little bit too much).  One of my favorite finds is this Visionart Italian Wok for $12.99.  I thought this pan was so awesome with all it's colors and floral designs.  Of course I had to have it! 

So here's my advice.  The next time you have some free time (and a little bit of extra cash) head over to Marshall's and check out their little kitchen department.  I guarantee you will find something that you love.  I know I always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment