Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Embedded Embossing

This morning's SplitCoast Sketch Challenge was very simple so I decided to try to "fancy it up" with fun new techniques and it gave me headaches!  I can always tell that the card isn't going well when my desk looks like this:


I just keep pulling stuff out hoping that something will come together!

But I am happy with the final result!



I did add some shimmer and bling that is better seen in this close-up:



It is cardmaking week at our church and very soon, I will be in full panic mode putting together kits for very clean and simple cards - nothing fancy, no new techniques.  But I like bringing some new ideas to our group, as we have some very advanced crafters who are thrilled by the new stuff.  So, before I hit panic mode, I tried a new technique on this card - embedded embossing, also called inlaid embossing.

It's quite simple - you just place some punches on your cardstock and then emboss the whole thing together with a detailed embossing folder.  The punched shapes "embed" into the paper and appear to be part of it.

I first saw the idea here on Andrea's blog.  Then I saw it again today, here on Gretchen's blog. 

Another quick tip - I must tell you that I HATE cutting things out.  And I really hate fussy cutting.  And I truly despise craft knives.  So many people do amazing things by cutting - mine always looks totally messy and ragged.  So when I had to cut out the inside of the teacup handle, I refused and did it this way -


Here's my first ragged attempt.  Don't do this! 
Just leave the inside uncut.

Stamp the teacup on white paper and cut
around the outside of the inside of the handle??!!
It's still cutting, but at least it's not "fussy-cutting"!

Apply adhesive to your small white piece and adhere
if over the uncut patterned paper.  It looks like
you "fussy-cut" it!!

  • Stamps: Flourishes
  • Ink: Stampin' Up Markers: Razzleberry, Blushing Bride, Old Olive, Pear Pizzazz
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Old Olive, Blushing Bride, Razzleberry, Chocolate, Blushing Bride dsp
  • Accessories: Martha Stewart hydrangea punch, EK Success leaf punch, Stampin' Up lattice embossing folder, Smooch Illuminate, Stampin' Up gems 

No comments:

Post a Comment