Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chickpea Sliders


Mark Bittman says "If you like hummus, this is your kind of burger." Well Mark, I happen to love hummus. I crave it. I need it. I simply have to have it on a regular basis. When my friend girlichef made these burgers I knew it was a recipe that I had to try.

The chickpea burgers can be made in about 20 minutes and make a great, quick, and economical lunch or dinner. You'll need no more than a can of chickpeas, some spices, a little onion, some flour and an egg. That's it!

Chickpea Burgers (or sliders)
Adapted from Kitchen Express by Mark Bittman
Drain a can of chickpeas and put them in a food processor with a chopped shallot or some onion, a bit of oregano, paprika, salt and an egg. Pulse the mixutre until it's slightly grainy but even in consistency. Add enough flour-about a quarter cup-so you can form the mixture into flat burger patties. Sear them in olive oil until golden, about four minutes per side. Serve on good whole grain bread or a bun with tahini (optional), greens, and a squeeze of lemon juice.

I do like to make my own bread, but in a pinch these Wheat Slider buns from Pepperidge Farm are a great store-bought product. (Note: I didn't receive them for free, we just happen to like them).

Notes/Results
: The chickpea burgers were slightly crispy on the outside and smooth on the inside. The flavor was a little mild so next time I will probably add in some garlic and quite possibly some curry power or cumin. I garnished mine with a drizzling of tahini, diced red onion, green leaf lettuce and a good squeeze of lemon. The chickpea patties would even be good on their own, without the bun as part of a salad or even with veggies on the side. I really like that this is a simple meal that can be made with the most basic pantry items. I will definitely make this one again, tweaking the recipe with new spices and condiments.

I am submitting this recipe to I Heart Cooking Clubs for this week's Potluck theme.

I am also submitting this to my friend Deb of Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sundays roundup.

Hope you all are enjoying your summer! It's going by fast. My daughter, who is going into the 4th grade, just received her school supply list and classroom instructions in the mail today. School will be back in session in about 3 weeks!
Soak up the sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment