Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Granola Muffins

I got these sweet little heart shaped ramekins at Target a few weeks back and just couldn't wait to use them. Valentine's Day is still one of my favorite days of the year. I love the cutesy decorations, the parties for the kids, the romance in the air, and of course, the emphasis on the food. Food is a big part of Valentine's Day, isn't it?
I was searching through Nigella's recipes, looking for something romantic, but I kept focusing on her Granola Muffins. I absolutely love granola and have never had it in a muffin before. I couldn't get the idea out of my head, so I settled on Granola Muffins in sweet little heart shaped ramekins. Since my husband is out of town working, these muffins were a perfectly sweet treat just for me!
Granola Muffins - adapted from Feast by Nigella Lawson
*Makes 12 muffins * I halved the recipe and it filled three ramekins*
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups granola (I used a storebrand oats and honey granola)

Preheat the oven to 400F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper muffin cups. (I halved the recipe, and just buttered and floured the ramekins). Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. In a wide-necked pitcher, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, sugar and oil. Pour this into the dry ingredients and mix lightly to combine. Fold in the granola and then divide the muffin mixture between the 12 paper cups (or greased ramekins). Bake for 25 minutes, by which time they should have risen and become golden brown. (Mine baked about 28 minutes). Remove from oven, let cool, on a wire rack.

Results/Notes: I sprinkled some extra granola on top of the muffins before baking, which made them a little prettier and added that extra crunch on top. I really enjoyed these muffins with a little honey drizzled over the top. I halved the recipe, which was somewhat tricky trying to add in one half of an egg, but the muffins turned out perfectly with a very tender crumb. Muffins aren't usually my favorite type of food, but I passionately love this muffin recipe! I will be making these muffins again and can't wait to try out some different flavors of granola. I can see maple flavored granola muffins in my near future!

I am submitting this recipe to I Heart Cooking Clubs. This week we are celebrating a little romance. Stop on by to see all the romantic recipes this week!
Happy Valentine's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment