Thursday, September 16, 2010

Pasta with Chickpeas and Garlic Sauce


Houston, we have a problem. Crazy people have taken me hostage. That's right. I think my family has gone crazy, especially the little ones. They've lost it. Anyone up for a rescue mission?

If so, please come prepared. I don't want you to be caught off guard when you encounter a certain sweet-faced, red-headed, three year old boy who accosts you by calling you a dumb ass. Apparently it's his favorite new word. I found out the hard way yesterday. All while shopping at a very crowded Target. He didn't just whisper it. He didn't just say it in a normal voice. No, he screamed it. Not just once. Not just twice. Three times. Three times he called me a dumb ass. His pronunciation and delivery were so clear. There was no mistaking it. I couldn't leave the store fast enough.

Warning: Plastic swords have been known to cast evil spells on children. Stay away from them if you value your humility.

You wanna know the funny part? I really don't like to take both kids shopping with me. I try to avoid it at all costs. But every once in awhile I get stubborn. I feel the need to persevere. I guess it's the allure of conquering an impossible task. A challenge yet to be won. I talk myself up. I tell myself that I can do it. Then I load them in the car and quietly wonder to myself "is this a dumb idea"? I already know the answer. Of course it's a dumb idea, but I don't listen. I take them against my better judgment. Even though I know it's a dumb idea. Only a dumb ass would do that, right?

After being called out by a three-year old, I returned home with something to prove. I felt a need to do something smart. And this pasta is very smart. So smart that I decided that I was no longer a dumb ass. I had graduated to a smart ass!

Pasta with Chickpeas and Garlic Sauce
Adapted from Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2006
Serves 4
2 teaspoons olive oil (I reduced this to 1 tsp. with great results)
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (I say use more)
1 (15.5 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 (14 ounce can chicken broth
1-1/2 cups uncooked medium seashell pasta (about 6 ounces or 4 cups cooked pasta)
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved (I subbed two cups of fresh spinach)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add crushed garlic; saute 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, chickpeas, and broth; bring to a boil. cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.

While garlic mixture simmers, cook pasta in boiling water 9 minutes; drain well.

Place chickpea mixture in a food processor, and process until smooth. Combine chickpea mixture, pasta, tomatoes (in my case spinach), minced garlic, parsley, and lemon juice, toss well. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.

Notes/Results:
Loved this recipe! It's creamy, garlicky goodness that can be made from mostly pantry ingredients(great for when you have to leave the market w/out your groceries). Plus, it's healthy, tasty and inexpensive. Best of all, you will feel very smart when you eat it:)

Nutritional Facts:
Serves 4 (serving size 1 cup pasta and 2-1/4 teaspoons cheese)
Calories: 333
Fat: 9g
Protein: 13
Carb:57
Fiber: 7
Chol: 3mg
Iron: 3.3mg
Calc: 92mg
**Weight Watchers Points = 7

P.S. I'll leave you with a little something to think about. Something that most people would never think of. People don't always remember the children who display bad behavior in public. However, they always remember the redheaded ones. They remember their hair. They remember their faces and they remember that redheaded temper. No amount of time will cause them to forget that your little redhead was the one who pulled the fire alarm at the elementary school, broke the cabinet at the doctor's office, or hollered dumb ass in Target. Nope, there's no living it down. Inevitably, someone always says "I remember you......."

No comments:

Post a Comment