Thursday, September 2, 2010

Chicken Curry In A Hurry


I know you're all familiar with the freshman 15. What about the food blogger 15? When you're barely 5'3", fifteen pounds makes a big difference! For the past couple months I've been making feeble attempts to lose the weight. Until now. I can honestly say that I've been successfully dieting for the past month and have lost 8 of those nasty 15 pounds!

I haven't cut out all my favorite foods, but I have revamped my diet to include more whole grains, fiber and yes....way less fat. If I want to indulge (example: Symon's Sopressata Sandwich) then I make a little mini version of that recipe, which has been working out well. I've also joined Weight Watchers online to keep track of my food intake and also because they have a pretty nifty tool called a Recipe Builder. You can input your recipe and see the point value for each serving. This Recipe Building tool helps me to know whether the recipe I want to make is something that I should make.

Mark Bittman's Chicken Curry in a Hurry
definitely qualifies as a healthy recipe and better yet, it's quick and easy. I served the chicken curry on top of some pretty red tomato couscous, which made for a very colorful meal.

Chicken Curry In A Hurry
Adapted from Kitchen Express by Mark Bittman
In about a tablespoon of oil, cook a sliced onion, teaspoon of curry powder and some salt and pepper for about three minutes. Season chicken tenders (I used two sliced chicken breasts) with salt, pepper, and more curry powder. Nestle the chicken between the onions, and cook for about two minutes on each side; remove the chicken and set aside. Add a cup of plain yogurt, or sour cream (I used 0% Fage Greek Yogurt) to the pan and stir, cooking for another minute or so (do not boil). Return the chicken to the pan and cook for another few minutes turning once, until everything is cooked and warmed through. Adjust the seasonings and serve over couscous or jasmine rice.

Notes/Results:
A guilt-free creamy dish, this is a healthy and colorful meal that you can have on the table in around 10-15 minutes. The yogurt and curry powder combine to make a very tangy and warmly spiced meal. I did make some changes to the recipe. I reduced the oil to 2 teaspoons and used two chicken breasts and half of an onion. I do recommend chopping or dicing the onion instead of slicing. Not only would it look better, it would be easier to eat. I also think this recipe would be great with some extra veggies thrown in.

**Weight Watchers Info**
The chicken curry made four servings at 3 points each
1/2 cup couscous is 2 points
Total point value for chicken curry and couscous 5 points
-The average woman gets about 20-25 points per day, depending on size and activity levels. Most of the meals that I've been making have been between 6-8 points, so this recipe is really excellent because of it's low point value.



This is my entry for I Heart Cooking Clubs where we are celebrating Crunchy vs. Creamy! I knew right away that I would chose creamy...creamy food is so comforting!

Also, this month is the last month that we will be cooking with Mark Bittman at IHCC. Next month we will usher in a new lady chef. Who will it be? Giada DeLaurentiis, Lidia Bastianich, Cat Cora or Sara Moulton? Don't miss your chance to vote for your favorite!


I'm also excited to say that my Dad and his wife are coming for a visit this weekend. They usually only make it down once a year, so it is a special time for us. I probably won't be around very much and wanted to wish you all a wonderful Labor Day weekend! I hope you get to eat lots of yummy food:)

No comments:

Post a Comment