Friday, June 4, 2010

Greek Salad Pitas with Feta Spread and Chicken with Homemade Cracked Pepper Potato Chips


When I want to lighten things up, I turn to Ellie Krieger. If you've been reading Stirring the Pot for the past few months, then you know how much I love Ellie's recipes. I really feel like Ellie knows how to maximize flavor while providing recipes for well-balanced meals that are healthy. This week I chose her Greek Salad Pita with Feta Spread and Chicken as my sandwich of the week. To go with the sandwich, I made a batch of her Homemade Cracked Pepper Potato Chips.

If you enjoy feta cheese like I do, then you will also enjoy this sandwich. The feta spread is a rather thick spread made from feta cheese, which is thinned out with yogurt and lemon juice. Oregano, lemon zest and black pepper are added to season the spread. This feta spread is some pretty tasty stuff, especially served inside of a whole wheat pita with chicken, romaine lettuce, sliced english cucumbers and mint leaves. Ellie's original recipe calls for turkey, but I had leftover chicken, so I used that. I enjoyed this sandwich for lunch a couple times this week! You can find the recipe HERE.

To go along with the pita sandwich, I made Ellie's Cracked Black Pepper Potato Chips. Russett Potatoes are sliced thin, tossed with olive oil and black pepper and baked until crispy. Some of my potato chips did stick to the baking sheet, so the next time I will add a tad more oil than the recipe calls for. I do think this is a recipe worth perfecting because everyone loved them and you can really customize them with different spices to suit your taste. I see a spicy version in my future, very soon! You can find Ellie's recipe for the Cracked Black Pepper Chips and also the recipe for her Onion Dip HERE.

I am submitting my Greek Salad Pitas with Feta Spread and Chicken to my fabulous friend Deb @ Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sundays Roundup.

Also, my sweet friend Julie at The Sporadic Cook was kind enough to feature me on her blog today! Head on over to Julie's site by clicking HERE to see my answers to her Seven Sporadic Questions. Thanks so much Julie for featuring me on your blog today.

Hope you all have a great weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment