Sunday, June 6, 2010

Popsicle of the Week: Peach Melba


I thought by now we might be growing tired of popsicles, but it hasn't happened yet! This week I have one of my all-time favorite combinations: peaches and raspberries. I really LOVE when summer arrives and I can have a bowl of juicy sliced peaches sprinkled with ruby red raspberries. It's one of my favorite food combinations and just happens to be healthy, so it's all good! I figured I would try my hand at a peach popsicle with raspberries sprinkled in. With only 1/4 cup sugar in all nine popsicles, this is the healthiest popsicle yet.

I've been using the natural light in my kitchen window to shoot most of my pictures and we were having a rather dark and dreary day on the day I took the picture. The above picture definitely isn't the best, but the peach popsicles were the color of peanut butter. In fact, the final product reminded me of a peanut butter and jelly popsicle (hmmmm...can't decide if that is a good idea or bad idea, but it makes me think....) I used the peach popsicle recipe from Shelly Kaldunski's book, Ice Pops.
Fresh Peach Popsicles
Adapted from Ice Pops by Shelly Kaldunski
Makes 6-8 pops (I made nine pops in my Zoku)
3 ripe peaches, about 1 pound total weight, peeled if desired (I used 4 small peaches)
1/4 cup superfine sugar (I make my own superfine sugar by pulsing in the blender)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
pinch of salt
Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits, then chop the flesh. Place in a blender or food processor. Add the sugar, lemon juice, salt and 1/4 cup water and process until the mixture is completely smooth.
If using conventional ice pop molds, divide the mixture among the molds. Cover and freeze until solid, at least 4 hours or up to 3 days. If using sticks, insert them into the molds when the pops are partially frozen, after about 1 hour, then continue to freeze until solid, at least 3 more hours.

Notes/Results: The peach popsicles were delicious all on their own, but I had an overabundance of fresh raspberries to use up, so I decided to sprinkle some fresh raspberries into the bottom of the molds and call them Peach Melba Popsicles. I really enjoyed the popsicles with the added raspberries, but the kids preferred them without (no surprise there). I really liked the peach popsicles and must admit that they are one of my favorites so far. With only 1/4 cup sugar, these are definitely one of the healthier pops. I will definitely be looking for more fresh, juicy, ripe peaches at the farmer's market. I definitely see myself making these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment