Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Crazy for Christmas & More

Set 243 & 244 - Crazy for Christmas & Curly Cute

It's a successful day for me - I used THREE Stampin' Up sets.  Two here and one in the bonus card below!!

Here is my card for today's SplitCoast Sketch Challenge.


It is super simple but I like the fun script on the sentiment along with the retro ornaments.  The ornaments have lots of sparkle with a Gold Twinklette but I find glitter pens almost impossible to photograph.
  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Crazy for Christmas and Curly Cute
  • Inks: Memento Black, copics
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Real Red, Tempting Turqoise, Kiwi Kiss, Crate Paper North Pole dsp
  • Accessories: Stampin' Up tinsel, Gold Twinklette, Fiskars Border Punch
--------------------------

Bonus #1
Set 245 - Because I Care

I needed to do five Thinking of You cards to go to a few older members of our congregation.  Although their baskets are being delivered near Thanksgiving, they aren't Thanksgiving baskets.  However, I did want to keep the card warm-colored in keeping with this fall holiday. 

This is the best stamp that I have ever seen for using the "thumping" technique.  It gives it incredible dimension.  This is very simply accomplished by inking the stamp with one color, and then using a contrasting marker to "thump".  Pretend to play a drum - just tap randomly around the image.  The side of my marker hits the stamp making a short line, so I do move the stamp around so that all the "taps" aren't going on the same direction.

The colors come from Curtain Call Color Challenge


The layout is from Sweet Sunday Sketch Challenge.

  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Because I Care, Silhouette Sentiments
  • Inks: Stampin' Up Chocolate Chip, So Saffron, Pear Pizzazz, Peach Parfait marker
  • Paper: Stampin' Up Peach Parfait, Chocolate Chip, Greenhouse Gala (green pattern), So Saffron patterns
  • Accessories: Stampin' Up Large Designer Label, circle punches, oval nesties, So Saffron ribbon, Stampin' Up embossing folder
--------------------------

Bonus #2

I had the ultimate thrill this week as one of my cards was pointed out on Broni's Color Throwdown blog.  She said the card had a "beautiful, graphic design".  Wow!
So why I am so openly bragging?  Because there is a lesson here based on my journey as a cardmaker.  I spent years just CASEing other people's cards.  I liked the cards so why not copy them.  Then I slowly started putting some of my own touches on the cards.  Now I am starting "almost" from scratch.

The "almost" is the important part.  I am not a cardmaker that can start from a totally blank slate.  There are those out there that come up with incredibly unique and wonderful cards - they are truly the trendsetters.  That is NOT me.  I need something to start with and, often, something or someone to push me along.

In the case of this card, I started with the Color Throwdown challenge of Soft Suede, Crumb Cake and Cherry Cobbler.  That was my starting point.  I play a lot of challenges - not for the "challenge" but to get my starting point.  I like challenges that supply colors or layout.  Over the next few days, I will be putting the links to my favorite challenges down the right side of this page.  Hope it helps!

Next step, I was at a friend's house and pulled out a set of hers that I didn't have - Bella Blossoms.  I stared at that big flower for the longest time and finally I mused out loud, what do you do with an image this large?  Kris said that she simply uses part of the image.  Her comment was my "push".  I stamped it off the edge and the card came together.

Check out Kris' blogs: Nostalgic Collage and A Nostalgic Halloween.  She IS a trendsetter!

Long story short - get ideas from wherever you can, play challenges to push yourself, and try to find time to hang out with other cardmakers so that you continue to be inspired!
  • Stamps: Stampin' Up Bella Blossom
  • Inks: Stampin Up Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, Cherry Cobbler
  • Papers: Stampin' Up Soft Suede, Cherry Cobbler
  • Accessories: corner rounder, Stampin' Up Lots of Tags Sizzlits, Modern Label Punch, embossing folder

No comments:

Post a Comment