Monday, December 28, 2009

Product Review: Breville Blender (BBL600XL Ikon 750-Watt 51-Ounce)

I'm still on the road visiting family and friends for the holidays so I thought I would post this product review that has been on my mind for awhile. My goal is to hopefully recieve comments about how you perceive your experience with the blender. I've decided that the blender qualifies as "The most frustrating kitchen tool known to man". Make no bones about it, the blender really frustrates me and I kinda want to know if I'm the only one. Maybe it's all operator error and I can rectify this situation with practice.

For years I have put up with inferior blenders that wouldn't chop ice, blend smoothies, make margaritas, etc. I've dealt with every inconvenience, such as blenders that break, leak, and my favorite of all....spew smoke when their little motors can't keep up with the task. I would say as an adult I've went through at least six blenders all in the $50 price range. In fact, if I come across a recipe that says "get out your blender" then I just start rolling my eyes. Why? Because I know I'm going to have a fight with the darn blender and it's probably going to win.

Let's make a long story short. About six months ago I decided that I would no longer buy $50 blenders. Obviously these inferior blenders were the problem, right? After all, an expensive blender carrying the "Breville" brand name would be like the King of All Blenders. So, I splurged and got a pretty good deal on the Breville blender pictured above. It was real pretty and I was real impressed with the design. My hopes were set real high.

I made a smoothie from Ellie Krieger's new book and the blender whizzed it up with no problem. Ice cubes, no problem. Frozen fruit, no problem. Nuts, no problem. Awesome power, sleek design, but wait a minute....what is that stuff coming out from the bottom of the blender? Oh, how nice! My brand new blender sure does whip it up good, but it leaks like mad. The only way to avoid the leaking is to tighten the bottom with the force of two grown men. If you tighten it too much, then it leaks even more! If the seal is wet it leaks! Good grief, it's like rocket science!
Best of all, the pitcher is made out of glass and if you drop it, it breaks! Good news is that you can order a new glass pitcher for the low price of $40, fun stuff, right?

Brand new Breville blender (bought on sale, using employee discount $119.99)
Replacement glass pitcher (mailed from factory) $40.00
Total blender price for six month's use $159.99

Notes/Results: FRUSTRATING!! As far as blending goes this blender really blends it up. I have complete confidence in it's blending abilities. I would give it five stars based on it's blending ablities and swear by it's ability to blend almost anything. However, tightening up the bottom to the glass pitcher is like guesswork. Is it tight enough or is it too tight? Is the seal wet, did I wipe it off? Is it going to leak? Should I get out the towels? Should I test the blender with water first or should I risk losing my recipe all over the counter? Ugh! I really dislike guessing games like that. Another thing I can't take is hassle. I have no patience. I don't even know how to rate this one. Yes, it blends well, but it's still a hassle to mess with which makes it comparable to every other blender out there on the market.

I've decided that blenders deserve to be coined the worst kitchen appliance on the market. Do you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment