Sunday, December 6, 2009

Go Get 'Em Smoothie

"I hate the word housewife; I don't like the word home-maker either. I want to be called Domestic GODDESS" -Roseann

This week over at I Heart Cooking Clubs we are celebrating Goddess Goodies, the foods that make us feel good. Being on bedrest all week, with an uncooperative back, has got me way behind on all sorts of things, namely Christmas decorations, shopping, housework, and baking to name a few. This domestic goddess wants desperately to get out of the house and start making preparations for Christmas.

Thumbing through my copy of Nigella Express I found this Go Get 'Em Smoothie and laughed to myself. This smoothie is the perfect balance for all goddesses. A little bit of chocolate, a little bit of fruit, and a little jolt from the expresso powder and you are ready to start your day and face those crazy and hectic holiday preparations! If I could just "go get 'em" I would be all set!!

GO GET 'EM SMOOTHIE - Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson
Nigella Says: "This is truly a weekday special: a breakfast that combines food and drink for people who don't feel they've even got time to sit down in the morning. If the person-in-a-hurry is miniature in stature, and not progressed to caffeine intake, then replace the espresso powder with a tablespoonful of peanut butter. Extra protein and ultradelicious. I keep overripe bananas, peeled and cut into quarters, in bags in the freezer which help give ice-creamy bulk to the smoothie and dispense with the need for ice.

1 peeled frozen banana, quartered
2/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon honey
4 teaspoons chocolate malted drink powder (I used Nesquick)
1/2 teaspoon instant espresso powder

Put all ingredients into a blender and whiz to mix. Pour into a tall glass and drink before dashing out the door. Serves 1.

Notes/Results: Tastes a lot like a thick chocolate milk with a hint of banana. My banana was a little under ripe. I would be sure to use a ripe banana for this recipe. I also found that one tablespoon of honey could be a little on the sweet side, so you can adjust to taste. I really wanted to add the peanut butter, but I wanted my little guy to be able to taste it, so I left it out! I bet the peanut butter would be a great addition. All in all, it was a delicious way to start the day. A real goddess goodie!

Don't forget to head over to I Heart Cooking Clubs to check out everyone all the other goddess goodies. There are some great posts this week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment