Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sauteed Baby Artichokes

One of my favorite things to do is to go to Whole Foods and do my grocery shopping. I know it, I'm crazy. Last week I got a lot of fun things to cook with in the kitchen. I got these baby artichokes, passion fruit, guava, blood oranges, duck breast, local lamb shanks and lamb loin chops, and a bunch of other fun stuff.

Back to the baby artichokes. Originally I wanted to stuff them, but I just didn't have time for that. So, I decided to go with sauteed baby artichokes. How can you go wrong with parmesan cheese on top? My mom was over visiting and together we ate the whole plate of them for lunch. They were very, very good!

Recipe
1 package baby artichokes
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tbs. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
dash pepper

How to prepare artichokes: Cut stem off at base. Peel back and snanp off petals until cone of yellow petals remains. Cut off top 1/3 of each artichoke. Drop artichokes into bowl of water with 2 Tbsp. lemon juice at each step to prevent browning (they will brown a little anyway. Quarter or halve artichokes. Drain well before cooking.

Pat dry and heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add baby artichokes and cook and stir until tender, about 5-8 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Toss with hot cooked pasta and parmesan cheese or add to risotto or pizza.

We chose to eat them by themselves for a healthy lunch option! I can't wait to buy some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment