Sunday, March 8, 2009

Arugula, Fennel, and Grape Salad *Recipe #27 - Page 237*

I made this salad last week sometime but have to confess that I have spent a couple days obsessed with facebook. If you haven't joined that, then you should. Anyway, this salad was very light and refreshing. I had never ate arugula before and I had never made a salad dressing either. Making the salad was so quick and easy that I was kind of mad that I hadn't tried this recipe earlier. I chilled my salad plates and made sure everything was good and cold. Then I tossed the salad in a separate bowl altogether. This really made a difference. I felt like I was eating a salad that had been ordered from a restaurant.

Vinaigrette: 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 2 teaspoons sugar and salt and pepper to taste. Combine lemon juice and mustard in a large bowl. Slowly pour in the oil, whisking until the mixture has emulsified. Season with sugar, about 1/2 salt, and black pepper.

For the salad:
1 small fennel bulb
4 cups packed baby arugula
1 cup red seedless grapes
1/2 cup roasted cashews
Wash fennel bulb. Using a mandoline or sharp knife, shave the fennel lengthwise so each piece is still held together by the root. Drop shaved fennel pieces in a large bowl of ice water for 1 minute to crisp; drain and dry.

When ready to serve, toss fennel, arugula, grapes, and cashews together in a large salad. Toss salad with vinaigrette, to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Enjoy this salad as part of a healthy diet. I had this salad twice for lunch this week and lost another 2 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment