Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Crunchy Jicama, Mango, and Cucumber Salad *Recipe #5 - Page 241*


This is a colorful, beautiful and refreshing recipe from the fresh and raw chapter. I was very impressed with the colors, textures and overall flavor. It was fresh, crunchy, sweet, tart and had heat from the pepper flakes. I think it would pair well alongside chicken or pork. It would also be great with any Mexican dish.
Jicama was on my list of rare things I needed to cook my way through the book. I had never bought, tasted or cut a jicama before so I was pretty excited to do something new in the kitchen. In fact, I've noticed a lot of Tyler's recipes involve something new for me. I'm glad I chose this book for that reason. It is always fun to do something new and exciting in the kitchen.
I am glad that I cut the recipe in half because it made a huge amount of salad, which I think would serve 4-6 people. Tyler's recipe is double what I have listed below. Unless you want to serve 4-6 people an entire plate of this, I would suggest cutting the recipe in half.
Ingredients are: 1 small jicama, 1 small cucumber, 1 mango, 2 radishes, 1 tsp. red pepper flakes, 1 lime (juice only), extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt and cilantro.
Peel and cut the jicama into 2-inch long wedges. Slice cucumber in half; scoop out seeds and cut into 2 inch wedges to match jicama. Peel the mango and slice into 2 inch wedges. Cut the two radishes into very thin slices using a mandoline or very sharp knife. Combine all ingredients into a bowl with the dried red pepper flakes, juice of one whole lime, and cilantro. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and toss to coat. Garnish with kosher salt and cilantro before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment