Thursday, November 26, 2009

Twelve Weeks of Christmas Cookies Week #9: Linzer Torte Bars


Today is Black Friday and the official start for Christmas shopping. For the past couple years, my mom, my daughter and I have ventured out in the dark and cold night to go Christmas shopping. We usually leave around 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning and laugh while we stand outside in freezing cold lines. My daughter refers to it as "shopping in the middle of the night" and she thinks it's the greatest thing in the world.

Another reason we love Black Friday shopping is because we always go out to breakfast. All three of us LOVE going out to breakfast and really enjoy having our own special girl time.

While out shopping, I will be packing a couple of these Linzer Torte Bars in my purse. After all, you cannot let a hunger pang pull you away from a great sale or bargain!

While commenting on Donna's blog, My Tasty Treasures, I noticed her Linzer Torte Bars. If you haven't been to Donna's site, then you must go now! She always has great recipes.

The Linzer Torte Bars are a real cinch to make, you can use any flavor of preserves or jelly, and they are seriously tasty and addictive. My mom loves blackberries, so I used a seedless blackberry jam and they turned out really tasty.

Linzer Torte Bars - adapted from Donna from My Tasty Treasures
1 cup flour
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup ground walnuts
1/2 cup softened butter
2/3 cup preserves/jam (Donna's recipe calls for raspberry preserves)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon


Preheat oven to 375F. Mix all ingredients with a spoon, except preserves, until crumbly. Press 2/3rds of the crumbly mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9x9 square pan. Spread with preserves. Sprinkle remaining crumbly mixture; press gently into preserves.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until light golden brown. Cool completely one hour. For 48 bars, cut into 8 rows by 6 rows bars, or cut into any size you like.

Notes/Results: A super quick cookie or bar to whip up in no time! Although I am a chocoholic, I LOVE these bars. In fact, I have become addicted to them. I love that the recipe requires so few ingredients. I also love the idea that you can use any flavored preserve or jam. These are one of my favorite cookies/bars that I have made in quite some time. A great choice for a cookie platter.

Thanks to Donna of My Tasty Treasures for a new family favorite!!

Check out the cookie monsters below to see what they baked up this week:
Megan of My Baking Adventures
Barbara of Barbara Bakes
April of Abby Sweets
Megan of Megan's Cookin
Denise of Keeper Worthy Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment