Saturday, November 14, 2009

Healthy Bread in Five: Pumpkin Pie Brioche


I recently joined up with a new and exciting baking group hosted by Michelle of Big Black Dog. We are going to be baking our way through the new Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day! I am really excited about this method of bread making. The concept is genius! You make one huge batch of dough, cover it up, place in the refrigerator, and break off a piece when you are ready to have fresh bread. The dough lasts for about two weeks, depending on the recipe. I was worried that there would be a trick to it, but there isn't. It really is simple and also easy enough for a beginning bread enthusiast! I highly recommend both Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day and the newest book Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

Our first bread is this festive Pumpkin Pie Brioche. Canned or freshly pureed pumpkin are mixed with traditional pumpkin pie spices and white whole wheat to form a lovely autumn scented brioche. I made one loaf of Pumpkin Pie Brioche earlier this week that we served toasted with butter and really enjoyed all on its' own. Some of the other members made delicious Pumpkin Pie Brioche French Toast, which sounds delicious!

With the other half of my dough, I made these Pumpkin Pie Brioche Cinnamon Rolls.
I have to admit that this was the first time I've made homemade cinnamon rolls. Prior to today, I was real good at opening a can of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls :D These received a thumbs up from all and were a very fun and festive autumn breakfast.

Are you looking for the recipe? You'll have to head over to Michelle's site! Everyone participating in the Healthy Bread group will be linking to Michelle's blog over at the Big Black Dog. Be sure to click on the link to Michelle's site to see both her entry and all the other entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment