Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Broccoli and Pasta with Mustard-Caper Sauce

I have a confession. I LOVE MUSTARD! It doesn't matter if it is Dijon, Spicy Brown, Stadium, Honey, or just plain old Mustard. I have been known to have at least five different types of mustard in my fridge at all times. It is by far my favorite condiment. When I was pregnant with my daughter I craved mustard on everything. I even went as far as to put it on english muffins, add it to my scrambled eggs, and pour it over mashed potatoes. I would eat specific foods just so I could dip them into the mustard. However, I never thought to put mustard on broccoli. Imagine my delight as I looked through my copy of Nigella Express and found the recipe Mustard-Caper Sauce for Broccoli. I knew I had to make this recipe for Sidedish Superstars over at I Heart Cooking Clubs.

Speaking of things I love, pasta is at the very top of the list. Ever since I was about four years old, I have been happily gobbling down all kinds of buttered noodles. My four year old friend and I would have discussions on whether or not we preferred shells over elbow or rigatoni. We would discuss which of our four parents made the best pasta and which of them used the correct amount of butter. I can still remember that her mom never put in enough butter and her Dad always put in a little too much butter.

Pasta was so loved in both households, that each family had a special pan, "the buttered noodle pan". Years later, as teenagers, buttered noodles were a food we made during all-night sleepovers, when we were upset about boys, or when we were giggling our heads off like young girls do. The "buttered noodle pans" were so important to us and always held special meaning. They were with us over the years as we grew up. Years ago, when my oldest friend got married, she registered for all kinds of beautiful china and new things. She loved them all, but her favorite was the gift her mom handed down to her. Can you guess what it was? Her mom surprised her by wrapping up the "buttered noodle pan" that we had grown up with. We laughed, we cried, and we remembered everything that we had shared over all those buttered noodles.

If only I had a penny for every single time I've cooked buttered noodles over the years. I would probably have enough to pay for a dream vacation! Since "buttered noodles" are my favorite way to eat pasta I decided to indulge and buy this Parmigiano Reggiano Butter, pictured below. I was saving this butter to use for a special occasion and decided to break it out today! I started off thinking that I would just use this butter to make "buttered noodles", and serve the broccoli with mustard-caper sauce on this side. Then I ditched that idea and decided what the hell....I'll just mix it all up together! I cooked one pound of mezze penne. Midway through, I threw the broccoli into the "buttered noodle pan" with the pasta long enough to blanch it. I tossed them together and served them with this delicious sauce.

Mustard-Caper Sauce for Broccoli- adapated from Nigella Express by Nigellla Lawson
6 tablespoons butter *I used Parmigiano-Reggiano Butter*
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
juice of half a lemon
2 tablespoons capers

Put the butter, mustard, and lemon juice into a pan over medium heat. As the butter melts, whisk all the ingredients together and then add the capers. Pour the emulsified sauce over cooked broccoli (and pasta) and serve. Makes enough to dress 1/2 to 1 pound broccoli.

Notes/Results: A wonderful, super quick, fresh, zesty and zippy pasta dish! I loved the zesty flavor from the mustard, lemon juice and capers. I topped off the pasta with some freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and it was a lunch to remember! This is a must make for all mustard lovers out there, it was delicious and a real "keeper" of a recipe.


I am submitting this dish to both Presto Pasta Nights and I Heart Cooking Clubs. You can find out how to join Presto Pasta Nights by clicking here or head on over to Deb's site here. Head on over to I Heart Cooking Clubs by clicking here to see all the other side dish superstars.

I hope you all have a tasty and delicious Thanksgiving!! I am hosting Thanksgiving at my house this year. We are having both my mother and father in-law, my sister and brother in-law, and my Mom. My Dad and his wife weren't able to make it, but we will be seeing them at Christmas time. Off to cook and clean for the next two days!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment