Monday, July 20, 2009

Red Onions Roasted with Balsamic and Honey

Okay, I will confess now.....I LOVE onions, especially red onions!! I can eat them raw, cooked, caramelized, etc. Since I love onions so much, I was surprised to find that I didn't care for this recipe (sorry Tyler!!). I loved the idea of this recipe and it looks and sounds delicious! It was super easy and the kitchen smelled great, but in the end I didn't love it. If I had this recipe to do over, I would quarter up the onions and separate them. The flavor was good, but I wanted the onion to be a little more crunchy or crisp. Anyway, here is the recipe for all you onion lovers out there.

Red Onions Roasted with Balsamic and Honey, adapted from Dinner at My Place by Tyler Florence

1/4 cup extra virgin-olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup honey
1/2 bunch fresh thyme sprigs (about 8 sprigs), leaves only
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 red onions, halved and papery outer peel removed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 slices
fresh thyme sprigs

Preheat oven to 375F. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, honey and thyme. Season with salt and pepper; whisk until combined. Put the onions in a large bowl and pour the dressing over them. Toss together until the onions are coated. Put the onions on a roasting tray, cut sides up, and drizzle with additional vinegar. Top each onion half with a butter slice and thyme sprig. Roast in the preheated oven about 40 minutes, until the onions are soft and slightly caramelized.

No comments:

Post a Comment