Monday, August 24, 2009

Vegetable Pancakes for My Girl Paula


We all know that Paula Deen is not known for creating super healthy recipes. However, this recipe might just catch you by surprise-and a pleasant one! I threw these vegetable pancakes together in no time this morning. As I was grating the carrots and zucchini it dawned on me that this recipe could be considered as one of Paula's healthiest. The recipe makes 8 veggie pancakes. I was curious about the calorie content, so I added up each ingredient. Each pancake comes in at 55-60 calories a piece, assuming you use only one tablespoon of vegetable oil. Not bad, Paula!!

These vegetable pancakes are quick and easy to throw together and were delicious! I enjoyed them and will be making them again. I think they are a great side dish or breakfast dish to keep in mind when you are low on ingredients. I would like to try the recipe again and make one large pancake (much like a frittata) and serve it pie-style. One big pancake means that I don't have to stand there doling out batter and flipping pancakes for several minutes. Instead, I can pour it all in at once and be done much quicker. I also think that you could get away with using less oil if you made one large pancake. Additionally, the presentation might be prettier as you could throw some garnishes on the top and let people cut wedges. Just ideas to play around with. Either way, this is a keeper recipe! Try it out, especially if you happen to have all the ingredients on hand!

Vegetable Pancakes - Lady & Sons Too, Paula Deen
*Paula serves hers with sour cream
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1 cup grated carrots (about 2 carrots)
1 cup grated zucchini (1 medium zucchini)
2 green onions, sliced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used one TBSP-I think you could use less)

In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. In another bowl, beat together the egg, milk, carrots, zucchini, and onions. Add this to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour the batter (I had to spoon it) by tablespoonsfuls into the pan, making a few pancakes at a time. Cook until golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Add the remaining oil to the pan as needed. Serve at once.

Another advantage to this recipe is that all these ingredients keep well and you can throw this together for literally pennies. This is an extremely inexpensive lunch, side dish or breakfast.

Thanks Paula!

No comments:

Post a Comment